Home
[b][/b]

Want to put a recoil pad on a Remington 7400. It comes with a steel butt plate, but I want a recoil pad. But...when I try to find one for the 7400, it doesn't seem to be offered in the Brownell's, Midway catalogs.

So here's my question, is the 7400 stock the same as another Rem stock? Like a 700 or 870?

Advice appreciated.
the pre fit ones kinda fit sorta. get a gunsmith to put on a grind to fit pad properly. the stock can be cut off the thickness of the pad so the length of pull doesn't grow unless you need the extra length.
You need a "grind-to-fit" pad, by makers like Pachmayr or Limbsaver.. Stock needs to be measured to know the size pad that's needed. Pay attention to the size re: Decelerator - they have a metal frame inside that you must NOT grind into..

Sounds like its a "grind-2-fit then...
Your stock may be too long if you just add a pad, you may need to cut your stock back about the thickness of the new pad.
Originally Posted by hoghunting
Your stock may be too long if you just add a pad, you may need to cut your stock back about the thickness of the new pad.
True, IF the original LOP is desired.. However, on most 7400 stocks the cheekpiece starts rather close to the end, therefore if one is adding, say, a 1-inch pad - the cut might be 7/8" before final sanding/shaping and the pad may need to be bigger in order to fit near, or at, the rise of that cheekpiece.

They can be a bit of a pita, but overall certainly doable..

Sounds like a lot of work, and some of it experimental. Maybe I don't need a recoil pad after all.
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Sounds like a lot of work, and some of it experimental. Maybe I don't need a recoil pad after all.
smile

Not a big job for one who has experience. I've done several - runs about $75-$85 installed.., depending on the LOP the shooter needs.
© 24hourcampfire