Home
I would like to skim bed an HS stock with the aluminum bedding block. It is for a single shot Savage 12.

I have seen quite a few guys simply skim bedding without really 'prepping' the surface. I was thinking to at least drill a few anchor points in the bedding block to ensure a more solid surface.

For the guys that have skim bedded aluminum blocks, how do you recommend I go about prepping the surface?

Just as a last thought, will a 223 benefit from skim bedding in such a heavy rifle?

Thanks

Pieter
I have never bedded a rifle and it shot worse! Good luck!
I have skim bedded a few of the alum. blocks Didn't drill any holes. Lightly sanded the exposed surface, wiped off with acetone and bedded. Last one was a 300WinMag. Nothing has debonded. Won't know if it will help until you try. But the rear of the lug was showing uneven pressure before bedding.Rick.
I prefer to mill fairly large slots to retain a nice pad of bedding around each action screw and then long troughs down each side. If it's getting an aftermarket lug that area is opened up as well while it's in the mill. Once cut everything is roughed up with 60 grit to give it addition surface bite.
I rough sand, clean, and skim bed. Some bedding blocke are atrocious.
Thanks for the information guys. I am going to sand and then bed the action. Seems like most guys get good results by floating the tang area on these rifles.

Pieter
Yeah, everything behind the second action screw is just fluff.
You might also want to do some work around the rear pillar to get some support all the way around, depending on what trigger you have.
All my Salvages are pre-Accu and I cut away a hunk of the sear lever dingus and put in metal a full 360. That was good for a little bit of group reduction as there was some springing.
© 24hourcampfire