Home
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite general purpose gun oil was? I have mainly used Break Free but read somewhere that it is not the same formula now. Any other favorites?
Thanks,
Jed
ATF.
For what it's worth, I use Rem oil spray. But keep in mind, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Corrosion X or Eezox. Not "oils" but one-step, cleaning/preservation/lubrication products. All one ever needs.

Both dry to the touch if properly used, which eliminates gumming, help prevent dirt attraction/holding, don't thicken or freeze in cold weather, or easily rub off once dry.
ATF.

Hail, you got to be more specific. Type A, type F, Dextron? miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
ATF.

Hail, you got to be more specific. Type A, type F, Dextron? miles

A secret blend. wink
Singer
I roll atf or hyd oil myself.
Mobil 1
CLP for the AR's and TriFlow for everything else.
Both ATF and Birchwood-Casey, the latter for that thin coat on everything and for wiping the outside for rust prevention. The ATF for the working parts to eliminate freezing in subzero temps.
I don't use much oil on my guns-mostly use Hornady's One-Shot dry lube. However, if I do need gun oil, there is always a spray can of Rem-Oil on the gun bench next to it.
Mobile 1, 0 to -30 degrees
G96
I use and have used Hoppe's or Outers gun oil on my bolt guns for 50 years; I also use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning them.

In the AR's I used Breakfree, except never in the bore; it takes too many rounds to shoot it out of the bore. It is too slippery and acts like moly/Teflon coat. I use Hoppe's #9 in my AR bores as well.
lucas gun oil
Mobil 1 I'm cheap
LSA for internal lube, a short spritz of wd 40 on a old shaving brush for the outside metal surfaces only. The carrier on the wd evaporates off leaving a thin film of fish oil to prevent rusting. I am in a humid area and have not had rust - usually. Do Not, repeat - do not spray wd40 into the gun or it will clog up big time! Just a short spritz on to an old shaving brush for the outside of the gun's metal parts!

Happy Holidays! Mel
break free
Originally Posted by mudhen
I don't use much oil on my guns-mostly use Hornady's One-Shot dry lube. However, if I do need gun oil, there is always a spray can of Rem-Oil on the gun bench next to it.

Sounds like my shop...
Eezox for me
Extremely light applications of mineral oil.
G96 for me as well. Bullets.com has it. I think they bought the rights to it. Great stuff !
Spit
Mobil 1 ATF/kerosene 50/50
Ballistol on the pistolas that get carried.
Lucas Gun Oil

Ballistol works for about everything...
G96 for me too. It ranks right with Hoppes for cologne choice.
Well, since we can't get whale oil anymore, I've been using Mobile 1 in any viscosity that starts with a zero.

Doesn't freeze, doesn't coagulate or dry out, heat resistant, and cheap at under ten bucks a quart.
© 24hourcampfire