Home
Posted By: KeithNyst Rust removal - 04/21/16
A rifle I recently picked up has some small rust spots on the barrel. I tried soaking well with Kroil (laid soaked gun patches over the spots for 3 days and then rubbed with the patches. No success.) I don't see #0000 bronze wool anymore, but did find some online labeled "fine"' which the vendors states is like #0 or 00 steel wool.

Is there #0000 bronze wool available anywhere that anyone knows of? If not, will "fine" bronze wool work without hurting the bluing?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rust removal - 04/21/16
One way to find out. Try rubbing a spot hidden by the stock.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Rust removal - 04/21/16
I've used 0000 steel with plenty of success.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Rust removal - 04/21/16
I spray liberally with Rem-Oil and rub with 0000 steel wool. I have removed a fair amount of rust from several rifles and shotguns belonging to family and friends without affecting the bluing too much--if at all.
Posted By: powdr Re: Rust removal - 04/21/16
Google the Gun Garage and kook for their rust remover pad. It looks like a scrubber women use to use on the pots and pans. It's really a great product and when used as directed will not remove the blue. powdr

*Just looked it up and it's called the Big 45 Gun Metal Cleaner.
Posted By: backtobethel Re: Rust removal - 04/22/16
Go to your local hardware store and find some Chore Boy 100% copper scouring pads. Use the pad lubed with Kroil. The copper will never harm the bluing. Just make sure to keep it flushed of any rust bits, though it doesn't sound like you have enough rust for that to be a problem (those rust bits CAN mark the bluing).
Posted By: Craigster Re: Rust removal - 04/27/16
Brownell's carries bronze wool. Midway probably has it as well. Marine/boat supply stores usually have it.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rust removal - 04/27/16
Use a spent brass case to gently scrape it away after your Kroil soak. A rimfire case is nice and thin and works good for this. You'll likely have to cold blue the spot.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Rust removal - 04/27/16
I've had good luck using Kroil and a all copper (pre-1982) penny if the rust is in small spots and not diffuse freckles.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Rust removal - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
A rifle I recently picked up has some small rust spots on the barrel. I tried soaking well with Kroil (laid soaked gun patches over the spots for 3 days and then rubbed with the patches. No success.) I don't see #0000 bronze wool anymore, but did find some online labeled "fine"' which the vendors states is like #0 or 00 steel wool.

Is there #0000 bronze wool available anywhere that anyone knows of? If not, will "fine" bronze wool work without hurting the bluing?

So when steel wool doesn't work, you have to get more aggressive, but understand you're going to have a sliver spot when you're done unless you cover it with cold blue.

Put a few drops of oil on the affected spot. Now take an X-Acto knife and just lightly poke at the affected area a couple hundred times in a sewing machine type action. It will break up the rust and the oil will replace it or wash it away. When done, if you've done it all right, all the rust will be gone, but you'll have a silver spot. Just come back with some alcohol to de-grease, then cold blue.

Pitting that bad will never disappear, you have to know that going in.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Rust removal - 04/29/16
Originally Posted by mudhen
I spray liberally with Rem-Oil and rub with 0000 steel wool. I have removed a fair amount of rust from several rifles and shotguns belonging to family and friends without affecting the bluing too much--if at all.

This. Personally I use WD-40 with 0000 steel wool for rust removal; I think the solvent properties are better for the task, but most any light oil will get the job done.
Posted By: buntingmiester Re: Rust removal - 05/06/16
DON'T use anything but a BIG 45 pad, google it, $6.oo free shipping, best damn thing you can use to remove rust w/o removing ANY bluing, follow the directions( little oil & light scrub)......... buntingmiester
Posted By: kingston Re: Rust removal - 05/06/16
http://www.big45.com
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rust removal - 05/07/16
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
DON'T use anything but a BIG 45 pad, google it, $6.oo free shipping, best damn thing you can use to remove rust w/o removing ANY bluing, follow the directions( little oil & light scrub)......... buntingmiester

This ^^^ or you can go to Wal-Mart and get the Scotch Brite version for $2.00; best thing I've ever used.
Posted By: ejwheaties Re: Rust removal - 05/11/16
I use a pre 1982 penny. lightly rub rust freckles while light dose of http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/ the penny must date before 1982. Amazing results
Posted By: shaman Re: Rust removal - 05/11/16
The last time I asked this question on here, folks recommended Eezox and a Chore Boy pad. It did an amazing job. That was about 2010.
© 24hourcampfire