Home
I have a Marlin model 60 22lr which was a Ducks Unlimited dinner gun in camo. What should I use to remove the camo paint?

Doc
Green's Stripper.
Edited the previous advice.

Just looked them up and it looks like they have composite stocks. If it's hydrographics on a tupperware type plastic lacquer thinner might work. The easier route is probably just to paint over the camo.
Originally Posted by kcnboise
Edited the previous advice.

Just looked them up and it looks like they have composite stocks. If it's hydrographics on a tupperware type plastic lacquer thinner might work. The easier route is probably just to paint over the camo.

He said it is a wood stock.
Use a paint remover, then plan to do some sanding, find the wood has very plain grain and apply some sort of finish and sand some more. In the end it will be a lot of work for a very plain looking stock that might look gosh awful.

Personally if I didn't care for the camo I'd pick a paint color I liked. I've used various colors of Krylon stone finish on rough duty milsurp stocks and have been happy with the results.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Use a paint remover, then plan to do some sanding, find the wood has very plain grain and apply some sort of finish and sand some more. In the end it will be a lot of work for a very plain looking stock that might look gosh awful.

Personally if I didn't care for the camo I'd pick a paint color I liked. I've used various colors of Krylon stone finish on rough duty milsurp stocks and have been happy with the results.

Simple, direct, and correct...
Strip eze
Cheaper than the name brands and works as well.
Yeah, my first thought was to wash the stock with solvent to remove traces of wax/oil/schmeck, rough up with 320x, and spray with a textured mono colored paint in an earth tone.
After using the stripper, wash thoroughly with dawn dish soap. Gets rid of stripper residue so new paint or clear coat will adhere
© 24hourcampfire