Home
Posted By: powdr How to take off Duracote? - 05/05/17
How can I remove Duracote from some small pieces like a cocking piece, shroud and safety? Thanks, powdr
Posted By: Kp321 Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/06/17
Depends on the finish you desire. Abrasive blasting is the quickest, just leaves a dull finish. If you want a polished finish, just polish it off on your abrasive wheel. It will come off with a little effort.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/06/17
Wire wheel it off or bead blast it
Posted By: RAN Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/06/17
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M23lFOSdqVU

RAN
Posted By: gemby58 Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/06/17
If you have a steel tank, soak it in acetone, there's no spay on finish that can with stand a soaking in acetone. Use bronze wool to remove. If it was applied without sand blasting the metal, the oringal blueing will be intact.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/07/17
Agree with Gemby58. Acetone, or bead blast.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/07/17
Had a Winchester Black Shadow that I bought for $250 with a cheap scope that was "CAMOED" Even the scope.. A lot of work but acetone took it all off, the bluing was still perfect. Just let it soak. As others have noted if it was blasted before the Duracoat then the bluing is shot.
Posted By: RAN Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/08/17
If Acetone will do it, MEK will be faster.

RAN
Posted By: HiredGun Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/13/17
If nothing will touch it including acetone, battery acid, oven cleaner, muriatic acid or aircraft stripper then you have Cerakote and the only way to remove it is to blast it off.

Cerakote Testing
Posted By: gemby58 Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/14/17
Originally Posted by HiredGun
If nothing will touch it including acetone, battery acid, oven cleaner, muriatic acid or aircraft stripper then you have Cerakote and the only way to remove it is to blast it off.

Cerakote Testing

I know acetone will remove it if you soak it in it for a few day, been there done that, that's how I know
Posted By: HiredGun Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/14/17
Are you saying Duracoat or claiming acetone will take off Cerakote?

If you had cured Cerakote come loose in anyway from an acetone soak NIC is going to want to know about it. Uncured Cerakote rinses right off with acetone but cured that is unheard of. I have soaked a sample of Cerakote for months pulled it out and let people bash on it with hammers, other tools and it will dent or flex with the metal and still not come off. I have a barrel that has lived in a drainage ditch for at least 5 years and it still looks like the day we did it. One half is coated and the other half raw. The raw end looks like a piece of rusty pipe as one would expect steel buried in the ground. We let people bash on it to see the durability and rust resistance. I have been to NIC when we got certified, saw how it is made and watched the testing first hand. Every batch gets tested for color match and durability.
Posted By: GeoW Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/20/17
Re: How to take off Duracote? [Re: powdr]
Posted By: ned Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/22/17
Wipe Out/Patch out works. I take the part and soak int in Path Out for a day or two, Duracoat wipes off, repeat as needed for stubborn spots. I learned this trick after noticing it was removing the Duracoat from my muzzles after many cleanings. I've done a complete barreled action this way. No doubt there are better and faster ways, but this does work.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: How to take off Duracote? - 05/22/17
Originally Posted by ned
Wipe Out/Patch out works. I take the part and soak int in Path Out for a day or two, Duracoat wipes off, repeat as needed for stubborn spots. I learned this trick after noticing it was removing the Duracoat from my muzzles after many cleanings. I've done a complete barreled action this way. No doubt there are better and faster ways, but this does work.

Sure does, wipe out does remove duracoat also, plus many other bore cleaners. Let it drip out the end of your barrel on your nice duracoat finish over night and see what happens. I use acetone as its cheap and I have a 4" x 48" stainless tube that I soak barrel actions in.
© 24hourcampfire