Home
Hi there,

I did ask this question in the hunting section as I thought there would have been a few guys that has done this themselves.
I would like to extend my Kimber 8400 mag box by removing the spacer in the rear of the box. I have read somewhere that it might be possible. If I remove the spacer, will the current follower still function as it should as I assume there will be some play? Have any one done this and what was the result?

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Pieter
Sorry for bumping this but I was hoping someone could advise me on this before I make a mess of it.
Curious if this is an 8400 WSM or a long 8400. Didn't realize they had a mag spacer.
Originally Posted by rembo
Curious if this is an 8400 WSM or a long 8400. Didn't realize they had a mag spacer.

It is a 338 Win Mag. There is a spacer that takes up about a 1/4" wich would give me the space I need if I can remove it.
I would google the same issue for a Model 70. Procedure will be the same. You will probably have to shorten the ejector blade and the bolt stop as well.The follower should work. I have done this on a Model 70 when going from 7 Rem Mag to 416 Rem.
I went ahead and removed the spacer on in the mag box. Instead of grinding the spacer out I tapped the tig welded side with a hammer a few times and used a large flat screwdriver by inserting it in the spacer itself and twisting the screwdriver. The spacer came out perfectly with no damage to the box itself.
Spacer in mag.
[Linked Image]

Removed spacer.
[Linked Image]

The internal mag space was increased from 3.38" to 3.67" which now allows me to seat 250gr Berger hybrids at a length which shoots really well in the rifle.

The rounds also feeds and ejects perfectly without any modification to the follower or anything else.
© 24hourcampfire