Home
Posted By: StudDuck 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17
Is there a smith on the Fire that is willing to install a grind-to-fit Limbsaver recoil pad on a finished Brown Precision Kevlar Stock if needed? I'll be contacting LS today to see if their synthetic stock recoil pad would be a direct fit, but I doubt it.

Thanks
Posted By: KMS Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17
It won't be a direct fit because typically, you want to remove buttstock material equal with the thickness of the pad.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17
Originally Posted by KMS
It won't be a direct fit because typically, you want to remove buttstock material equal with the thickness of the pad.

I should've stated this rifle came from the custom shop in '86 and already has a recoil pad installed and I'm just replacing it. I was in a hurry to make a morning meeting and left a few details out when posting.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17

Personally I would pick a decelerator over a Limbsaver pad any day of the week. Contact Redneck
Posted By: mudhen Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17
+1 on both comments.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Personally I would pick a decelerator over a Limbsaver pad any day of the week. Contact Redneck

I had one on a Weatherby Super Big Game Master, now know as the Ultra Light; seemed to do the job alright. This goes without saying, but I'm looking for something that will really soak-up recoil. I anticipate this rifle kicking like a bayed mule.

Are you basing your opinion on looks, performance or both? Enlighten me oh wise one. grin

Posted By: WiFowler Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17

^^^ This

I might go as far as to add KickEze as an option. They grind and finish very well. Decelarators have a steel plate in the base and therefore must be sized and positioned correctly before grinding. Limbsavers are a PITA to grind. Real soft and gummy as I recall. I've ground and finished exactly one Limbsaver. Never again. Some suggest freezing a Limbsaver before grinding, but I'm not going to try. Decelerators and KickEze have satisfied my needs.

BTW, wasn't it a Limbsaver (or derivative) that was put on Remingtons, which after a few years began to degrade?
Originally Posted by WiFowler

BTW, wasn't it a Limbsaver (or derivative) that was put on Remingtons, which after a few years began to degrade?

I've heard of freezing a Limbsaver prior to grinding and yes it was Limbsavers that degraded, but IIRC, it was a bad batch of material from their supplier that caused the problem. Perhaps someone with a better memory than I can comment about that.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/19/17
Just shot my Win. M/70 .30-06 with Decelerator pad, what a difference vs. the previous Pachmyer vent pad. J. Kobe installed the Decelerator, excellent job, quick turnaround fairly priced.
The uber soft pads combined with hard kicking rifles and less than generous eyebox scopes are the trifecta of tragedy. I'll third the decellerator and kickez
Posted By: StudDuck Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by high_country_
The uber soft pads combined with hard kicking rifles and less than generous eyebox scopes are the trifecta of tragedy. I'll third the decellerator and kickez

I failed to mention it is a 300 Win Mag, M700 KS Mountain Rifle. Bare rifle; 6lb 13oz
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by WiFowler

^^^ This

I might go as far as to add KickEze as an option. They grind and finish very well. Decelarators have a steel plate in the base and therefore must be sized and positioned correctly before grinding. Limbsavers are a PITA to grind. Real soft and gummy as I recall. I've ground and finished exactly one Limbsaver. Never again. Some suggest freezing a Limbsaver before grinding, but I'm not going to try. Decelerators and KickEze have satisfied my needs.

I believe they melted but they changed the ingredients..they still look like crap and work no better then a decelerator.
I'll probably take your advice and go with the decelerator, but I do like the looks of the Dual Action Kick-Eez. I'll check with Redneck and see what he would prefer to work with as well.

ETA: I'll post a picture later this weekend or on Monday, perhaps one of you can identify who made the factory pad and if I'll be gaining anything by going with the Decelerator or Kick-Eez.

Thanks for the assistance.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I'll probably take your advice and go with the decelerator, but I do like the looks of the Dual Action Kick-Eez. I'll check with Redneck and see what he would prefer to work with as well.

ETA: I'll post a picture later this weekend or on Monday, perhaps one of you can identify who made the factory pad and if I'll be gaining anything by going with the Decelerator or Kick-Eez.

Thanks for the assistance.

If it was a mcmillan stock then it would be a Pachmayr since that is what they offer on their new stocks and have for a very long time.
Existing factory pad; hard as a rock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoW Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/20/17
I'd leave it factory. Aren't you trying to sell the rifle.. I also noticed it's trigger was for sale.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/21/17
Originally Posted by GeoW
I'd leave it factory. Aren't you trying to sell the rifle.. I also noticed it's trigger was for sale.

I marked it down to a steal and there were no takers; I refuse to give it away. I swapped the factory trigger for a Timney, sending it off to have aluminum pillars installed and bedded. I don't need a magnum, but it will go into the field with me this year.

Posted By: GeoW Re: 24HCF Gunsmith Needed - 05/21/17
I have a couple KS. They are nice!
© 24hourcampfire