Home
Posted By: Biggs300 Boyds Gunstocks - 06/13/17
I want to give a quick plug to Boyd's for their customer service and prompt delivery. I recently pulled my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker from the safe to change the scope and found that the Dura-touch finish on the stock had deteriorated into a stick mess. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on the rifle, I ordered a classic design Boyds and had them do checkering and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. I ordered the stock on June 6th, it was built on June 7th (according to date stamp in the forearm) and on my doorstep on June 10th. The stock looks great. I took it to my gunsmith for a bedding job and he also commented on it's overall appearance and said that the inletting looked good and straight, but would know more when he starts the bedding process. Based on my experience, I may pick up another Boyds to replace a rifle with a composite stock that I've never liked.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/15/17
How was the checkering? Was it hand cut? Please post some pictures if you can.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/15/17
S99VG, The checkering is laser engraved and to my eye, it looks good. The cuts are relatively deep, has a pleasing design and is positioned well on the stock. The cost was only $55 and I certainly think I got my money's worth. I will try and get a picture posted after I get it back from the gunsmith in the week or so.
Posted By: model70man Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/15/17
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I want to give a quick plug to Boyd's for their customer service and prompt delivery. I recently pulled my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker from the safe to change the scope and found that the Dura-touch finish on the stock had deteriorated into a stick mess. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on the rifle, I ordered a classic design Boyds and had them do checkering and install a Limbsaver recoil pad. I ordered the stock on June 6th, it was built on June 7th (according to date stamp in the forearm) and on my doorstep on June 10th. The stock looks great. I took it to my gunsmith for a bedding job and he also commented on it's overall appearance and said that the inletting looked good and straight, but would know more when he starts the bedding process. Based on my experience, I may pick up another Boyds to replace a rifle with a composite stock that I've never liked.

I just wish they would build walnut/walnut laminated stocks.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/15/17
A laminated stock in walnut/walnut would be nice. Never thought much about it but, you would have the best of both worlds...strength of a laminate in a stock that looks more like natural wood.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/15/17
I bought one for a savage,it was a laminated green/camo type.
Thumbhole and it fit darn good and best of all the guy i got it for loved it.

Me,i am not sold yet on thumbhole stocks.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/16/17
S99VG, The checkering is laser engraved and to my eye, it looks good. The cuts are relatively deep, has a pleasing design and is positioned well on the stock. The cost was only $55 and I certainly think I got my money's worth. I will try and get a picture posted after I get it back from the gunsmith in the week or so.

Very cool!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/20/17
I bought a boyds stock recently. It has lazer checkering and it looks good.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/21/17
What was your LOP?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/21/17

I'm glad that you received good customer service. My experience was terrible! I'll use Stocky's Stocks if I need that type of stock.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/21/17
GeoW, the stock I bought has their standard 13 3/4" LOP but I added a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad which gave me another 1/2" compared to their standard 1/2" pad.
Attached are a couple of pictures of the stock and checkering.

Description: Boyd's Stock
Attached picture IMG_0310.JPG

Description: Checkering
Attached picture IMG_0308.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0309.JPG
Posted By: GeoW Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/22/17
Looks fine to me. The reason I asked about the LOP is that they claim their standard is 13 3/4". To have any other length is an extra $29.00.
Kinda chickenshit how they do that, knowing most prefer the 13 1/2" LOP.

g
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/22/17
The LOP on my old Browning X-Bolt factory stock was 13 5/8". I do have longer arms, but the new Boyd's stock doesn't feel much different from the factory stock to me, even with the 1" recoil pad. One thing I didn't mention, my gunsmith said that he didn't have to make any changes to the inletting on the new stock, other than what is necessary for a normal bedding job. He floated the barrel and indicated the action was a perfect fit. He also was able to adjust the trigger and I couldn't be more satisfied with his work. Best $80 I have ever spent with a gunsmith.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/22/17
Love when a plan comes together! 😀
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/22/17
Another reserved PLUG. Only thing holding me back is I have yet to see the stock. Ordered an AT-ONE adjustable stock with the extra palm swell & target forearm last Friday for a new CZ 527. Today I get an E-mail she has shipped. Should be able to give her a go by this weekend. Will keep you posted.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Another reserved PLUG. Only thing holding me back is I have yet to see the stock. Ordered an AT-ONE adjustable stock with the extra palm swell & target forearm last Friday for a new CZ 527. Today I get an E-mail she has shipped. Should be able to give her a go by this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Standing by, less than patiently grin, to hear your thoughts on the AT-ONE stock, as well as the fit/feel of the extra grip. Pics also help grin

I have it in the back of my mind to drop a RAR-Predator in an AT-ONE and have contemplated getting the vertical grip and target forend as well.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/23/17
Wi Fowler:

May be a while before I get out and work much with this rifle and the stock. Between other obligations and struggling to find a wind free day on the south Dakota prarie I may take as long as 2 weeks before I get out with her. Have to see if I can recall how to post photos.

You may rest assured I wish to get out as early as practical.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/27/17
Just a quick update, I installed and bore-sighted my scope (an SWFA SS 10x42) on the Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag with the new Boyds classic stock installed by Steve Baldwin a gunsmith in Jones, OK. He did an incredible job bedding the action and fully floating the barrel. While Steve Baldwin is well know for his custom Baldwin Soul sights for Sharps and other rifles from the period, he is a great gunsmith as well. I am so pleased with his work!

Hunterapp, I had hoped to use my "new" rifle on a SD Rosebud Sioux reservation deer hunt this year but, sadly, my hunting buddy and I just found out earlier this week that were not successful. We have hunted this area (Big White and Little White river area near Murdo, SD) five times now and we have grown to really like the reservation hunts in this area. We have a great Sioux guide who has become a friend over the years and may still try for a SD elk cow hunt (left-over, tags). If not successful, looks like it will be another 2nd or 3rd season elk hunt in CO. We have also hunted CO for several years but, love hunting the Rosebud Sioux reservation area of SD.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 06/29/17
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

I am hoping that they perform as well as they said they would at SHOT.

I just ordered an AT-ONE stock for a Savage Model 10 with a factory barrel. No target forearm or palm swell though. I want to replace the factory plastic.

I hope yours works great.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/06/17
Managed to get out a little with the new CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel. So far so good. I like the ability to adjust The comb up and down with relatively little effort. Having The comb adjusted up roughly a half inch works well for me with this CZ 527 and the higher scope mounts. On the other hand when a guy goes to clean a bore it was nice to have a comb adjusted all the way back down.

My 6' 2" stature likes the length of pull near max in my summer T shirt. I am sure I will like this 1/2" to 7/8" of an inch shorter in the late fall to winter months.

I am likeing the wide target forearm thus far and I'm not really sure if I like either palm swell option. Also picked up their cheap plastic picatinny rail and feel this is just that. Not only inexpensive but a cheap rail. Don't think I can recommend that for anyone.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/13/17
I just received the AT One stock this morning. I needed to fit the trigger guard and forgot about taking the mag from the OEM stock and putting it in the Boyds. So I took it out again and banged the mag into the well. The mag lifts up from the OEM stock. There is a silver clip at the back which secures everything. Just give it a good tug! This is for the Stevens 200/non-accutrigger Savage SA.

It does take some light tapping with a nylon hammer and punch to get it seated. Mine did anyway. I torqued the front screw to 35 in/lb. The rear to 30in/lb. Everything fits and mechanically functions, although the butt pad for LOP was difficult to extend. It's new though, and probably has to be worked a few times. One of these mornings I will get it out to the range.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/13/17
First I've seen a AT-ONE mounted on a rifle, other than the images on their web site. I guess I wasn't paying attention, but the bottom of the stock, forward of the trigger guard looks 'square', or at least there appear to be no rounded edges.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/13/17
It has a flat bottom. The edges aren't sharp though. For lack of a better description, they are like the edges of a 2x4. The edges are smoothed and rounded.

I only handled it briefly. The rifle sits well on my knee and would do okay on a rest. It is 1 inch wide at the tip - the barrel end. It is 1 3/8ths wide near the mag. It is heavier than the OEM plastic, but that's to be expected. I'm guessing, but the rifle, scoped, weighs 7.5 to 8 lb. The forestock will not move if you use a bipod. Like any stock, you will either love it or hate it. So far, I like it. This particular rifle is a 243.

I will shoot it, unbedded, and if it performs, I will get another for an Axis rebuild that I am doing. I often use cut pieces of pop can as shims to level the action inside a stock. The Finns and a few other countries used to shim with brass when wood was the only stock material. Shims work well with laminated stocks.

Of course, the big selling point is the ability to change the LOP and cheek height. That's a nice feature. It will adjust correctly for most, but not all shooters.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/15/17
Just curious, but why does your stock have a sling swivel on the right side of the stock?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/15/17
I don't know. It's easily removed though. Push the centre button and it detaches.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/15/17
It's to attach a sling....
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/15/17
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's to attach a sling....

Yes, but why would you attach a sling to the bolt handle side of a stock?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/19/17
Some stocks and military rifles were configured so that the rifle would lie flat against your back and not have the heel of the butt stock, magazines, or other hardware dig into, or hit your body while walking. They bounce less than rifles with traditional bottom mounted slings. This pic is representative of the style.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/20/17

I have had generally good luck with Boyd's, but the idiots they employ for returns are beyond stupid. I bought a Marlin butt stock and it came drilled with 1/4" hole for the attach bolt, which is a tapered bolt to enable snugging up the stock to the tang. Despite sending photographs, detailed descriptions, and two replacement stocks, Boyd's failed miserably. I ended up with a new stock (drilled improperly) and a refund, simply because even the supervisor could not understand mechanical advantage.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
3584Elk, sorry you had a bad experience with your Boyd's Marlin stock. After finishing the scope install and setup of my X-Bolt 300 Win Mag, I am extremely pleased with the new Boyd's stock. The rifle is not only more accurate now, but the 1.5+ lbs. of added weight and stock design has made the rifle much more pleasant to shoot. I have a new-found confidence in the rifle that I didn't have before. Hopefully Boyd's will make it right for you.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
I've installed several Boyds and in general love them for what they cost. I had them checker one for a Savage muzzleloader and thought it was killer!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
That's a nice looking stock. The laser engraving is excellent.

That's their Classic stock, I believe How is it for scope alignment? It might be the picture, but the comb looks like it could be higher.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
Yes, it is their Classic design. The scope alignment/cheek weld was excellent for me, however everyone is different. My face may be on the large size as I have trouble getting low enough to use the iron sights on my Winchester Safari Express and Ruger Guide Gun.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
Yes, but rifles designed to be slung on their side are designed to be slung on the left side opposite the bolt handle, as with German military Mausers, or opposite the cocking handle, as with the M-1 Carbine in your picture. Your Boyds stock has a swivel on the right rear, but no corresponding swivel that I can see on the right front, so what purpose does it serve?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/21/17
Originally Posted by tmitch
Yes, it is their Classic design. The scope alignment/cheek weld was excellent for me, however everyone is different. My face may be on the large size as I have trouble getting low enough to use the iron sights on my Winchester Safari Express and Ruger Guide Gun.

I'm glad it fits. I thought about getting that model, but was unsure about the cheek weld.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Yes, but rifles designed to be slung on their side are designed to be slung on the left side opposite the bolt handle, as with German military Mausers, or opposite the cocking handle, as with the M-1 Carbine in your picture. Your Boyds stock has a swivel on the right rear, but no corresponding swivel that I can see on the right front, so what purpose does it serve?

I would say that it is just a place to put it. I took mine off and put it, labeled, in a drawer. There are conventional swivels on the bottom of the stock.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17

From Boyds website: "all At-One stocks come equipped with a single-point sling mount that, with the push of a button, can be moved to either side of the stock in seconds."

Installed on the right side of the stock, it's for carrying left handed single point.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17
That makes sense. I'm not sure how many people use a single pt. sling, but it's there if you need it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
That makes sense. I'm not sure how many people use a single pt. sling, but it's there if you need it.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I've never seen anyone, anywhere, carry any firearms that wasn't either an AR or a pistol grip equipped pump/semi-auto tactical shotgun with a single point sling.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I've never seen anyone, anywhere, carry any firearms that wasn't either an AR or a pistol grip equipped pump/semi-auto tactical shotgun with a single point sling.

Yup...
It's probably marketing. Look at how many products are marketed as "tactical", painted OD green or grey, or are capable of attachments like flashlights and lasers.

I just took that thing off and put it in my spare parts drawer. You know when you go to a gun show and there are always one or two guys that have cardboard boxes full of odds and ends? That's where mine will end up. Lots of people rummaging through the boxes looking for something that they might need. Most of the parts aren't recognizable, but sometimes you find a treasure.

I took the AT-One stocked rifle to the range and put a few rounds downrange. It performed about the same as the OEM stock, but fits better and is heavier. It's a 243, so recoil wasn't an issue, but the heft and flat bottom made it easier to control on the bag. I tried a few shots from the sitting position, with the stock resting on my knee. With the flat bottom, it is much more stable than traditional rounded stocks.

As a result of that, I ordered another for a walking 6x45mm bolt. It will be finished in applejack.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17
I have five different laminate color Heritage style stock on five different caliber RAR-Ps; 204, 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The color coding makes it easy to differentiate one from another when they're in the rack.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 07/22/17
I would be way to short to single point sling a rifle like that.
I have five different laminate color Heritage style stock on five different caliber RAR-Ps; 204, 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The color coding makes it easy to differentiate one from another when they're in the rack.

That's what I was thinking. Now I just have to remember to take the right reloads with me. smile

I am on the fence about replacing an older Savage 110 stock. It's a plain wooden OEM stock, probably birch, with the older slotted bolt screw. I had it out yesterday and was wondering why I didn't use it as much as before. That's when I remembered the short bolt handle. My gloved hand always rubbed against the scope. I ordered a replacement handle from Glades Armory. That will also solve the problem of a stiff operating bolt that Savage users used to suffer from occasionally.

If that makes operation easier, I'll break down and order a Boyd's stock for it. Not sure of which colour though. smile
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 08/03/17
[Linked Image]

I got a second AT-ONE stock for my soon to be 6x45mm stalking rifle. I had to perform a very minor alignment to a plastic spacer when installing the stock. This is the Savage Axis version.

There is a plastic spacer that comes with the stock. The front stock screw passes through it. This spacer has to be kept straight when torquing the front screw. The reason is, the magazine release sits in a recess in the spacer. If the spacer is not square, the magazine release doesn't like to release or lock in. Because the plastic spacer turned slightly with the screw as it was tightened, I used my knife blade to stop it from turning as I torqued the screw.

[Linked Image]

On this stock, unlike the first, they attached a sticker recommending 35 in/lb of torque on the screws.

Other than the magazine release and spacer alignment, it was a 5 minute job. I put a bipod on it and checked the foreend for flex. There was none. The barrel is completely free floated. How it groups is another question, but I'm not concerned. There are no reports of these stocks making rifles shoot worse, and the barrel is being replaced anyway.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 08/03/17
[quote=Steve Redgwell][Linked Image]

I got a second AT-ONE stock for my soon to be 6x45mm stalking rifle. I had to perform a very minor alignment to a plastic spacer when installing the stock. This is the Savage Axis version.

There is a plastic spacer that comes with the stock. The front stock screw passes through it. This spacer has to be kept straight when torquing the front screw. The reason is, the magazine release sits in a recess in the spacer. If the spacer is not square, the magazine release doesn't like to release or lock in. Because the plastic spacer turned slightly with the screw as it was tightened, I used my knife blade to stop it from turning as I torqued the screw.

[Linked Image]

On this stock, unlike the first, they attached a sticker recommending 35 in/lb of torque on the screws.

Other than the magazine release and spacer alignment, it was a 5 minute job. I put a bipod on it and checked the foreend for flex. There was none. The barrel is completely free floated. How it groups is another question, but I'm not concerned. There are no reports of these stocks making rifles shoot worse, and the barrel is being replaced anyway.

[Linked Image]

What in the World is the big piece of metal hanging off the bolt handle? It's purpose happens to be? Rest of it looks good.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 08/03/17
Where can I get one of those 20¢ Canadian notes? grin
These notes can be found at any Canadian dollar store. smile

[Linked Image]

This is a bolt handle. You access the chamber by unlocking and retracting it, using your hand. They come in many shapes and sizes. Where and how you use it determines the size and shape required. The era in which they were made also determined the size and shape. There are many different ones.

There are cylinders, knobs, slats, flats, spoons, knurled, balls, teardrop and tactical types. They are generally made of some kind of metal, although synthetic material has been used, but usually on the handle only, and then, only for decoration. The metal can be stainless, blued, polished, matte, roughed, knurled, inlayed, engraved or jeweled. Sometimes they rust if the metal is not protected.

Bolts and bolt handles are made all over the world. Any country that has produced rifles has made bolts and bolt handles. Only one continent, Antarctica, has never had a manufacturing facility that produced them. On automatic weapons and autoloaders, the cocking handle is another name for bolt handle. In some countries, they call them charging handles. Regardless, they stil attach to the bolt so that shooters can operate the bolt manually.

The Norwegian name for bolt handle is bolt håndtak. The Norwegians have also made them.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 08/03/17
Looks like the turn signal stalk on my car. grin
Actually, it's just the angle at which I took the picture. The handle is 1.75" long. The reason for the extended handle is simple. The Savage handle is short and skinny. When I worked the bolt, my fingers hit the scope. With this replacement, they don't. smile
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Boyds Gunstocks - 08/07/17
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

What in the World is the big piece of metal hanging off the bolt handle? It's purpose happens to be? Rest of it looks good.

[Linked Image]

I have made about 30 bolt handle knobs in the last 30 days.
I have purchased 3 PTG bolts for Rem 700s so I have a place to hang them.

I am embarrassed that I would spend 1/2 hour every day doing this, but the wife likes them.

I am interested in lowering the weight, specific heat, and thermal conductivity of tactical bolt handle knobs, so I do have a rational.

Back on Boyd's. They had high pressure commissioned salesmen 20 years ago. Now it is just a cheap place to buy a stock on line.
The Pro Varmint stock with some Alum-hyde II sprayed on, is a lot of stock for the money. I have done 223 Sav 110, Dumoulin Mauser 6.5-06, Rem 700 7mmRemMag, and others in the pipeline.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire