Home
I have a Parker repro 28ga double with M/F chokes in chrome lined bores. The full choked barrel has .035" constriction! After pattern testing I may want to open it to .020-.025". Will a standard tool steel reamer cut chrome or is carbide required?
Have you tried different loads?
Dove shooting, missed a lot with that barrel, but no paper pattern test yet. Also have IC/MOD barrel, it's a killer!
Originally Posted by doublegunner
I have a Parker repro 28ga double with M/F chokes in chrome lined bores. The full choked barrel has .035" constriction! After pattern testing I may want to open it to .020-.025". Will a standard tool steel reamer cut chrome or is carbide required?

I would try Spred-R loads before I modified the shotgun. They work very well.
chrome lined bores are tough. the other posters probably gave you the best advice but if you really want to alter the chokes the two ways I know to proceed are; carbide reamer or hone through the chrome until you get to the base metal then a tool steel reamer set up works.
I'll second the use of spreader appliances. They're cheap and effective- you can buy many thousands of them for what it'll cost to have this work done.
Just send the shotgun to Briley and get it done right
I don't get it if you have IC & Mod. barrel why not use them and save the other for trap and waterfowl? Since it is a reproduction then I doubt adding briley's would reduce the value this is the way I would go. But I think the British were on to something with a game gun choked close to skeet no. two and improved modified.

I have done this on cheap single shots but it is beyond me to regulate a fine double I would have a pro do it.
You've got me rethinking the whole idea. Great suggestions from all ! Going to the range to properly pattern test. Report to follow.
The type of spreader that ballistic products sells really do work well. I would shoot them in even an IC choke and still got fairly even patterns. Fast to load a lot easier than the cardboard X's. It varies but usually provided the equivalent of one choke designation wider pattern but with no doughnut holes like some spreaders create.
Posted By: EdM Re: Reaming a chrome lined choke - 06/22/17
I would call Michael Orlen. I used him twice many years ago and he did great work at a fair price. He is very well known in the industry.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237
© 24hourcampfire