Home
Posted By: remdriver Blasting media - 06/25/17
Can someone please tell me what media and pressure do I need to use to match the finish on a Remington 700 call sf? I'm not having much luck with it. Thanks for any help.

Will
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Blasting media - 06/25/17
Are you using glass beads or silica dioxide? I'd venture to say a fine silica dioxide .Vary the pressure until you get want you want , experimenting on a piece of scrap steel
Posted By: remdriver Re: Blasting media - 06/25/17
Thanks saddlesore. I'm using glass beads, but it finishes more gray than silver.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Blasting media - 06/25/17
Take a sample piece to your sandblast media supplier, they should be able to make recommendations as to media and pressure. Also are you using new or used media? You will get a different finish from fresh media versus used.
Posted By: remdriver Re: Blasting media - 06/26/17
Thanks gunswizard I'll do that. I'm using new glass, but I think I have too much pressure.I'm going to turn it down and see what happens.

Thanks everyone. Will
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Blasting media - 06/26/17
What grit glass beads are you using, Remington uses a 80 grit glass beads
gemby, I'm using 80 grit glass beads. It's good to know that's what Remington uses. Thanks
I'll have to take a old stainless barrel and try to match for you I have 5 different grit size glass beads, what model is the on? When you say 700SF you meaning 700 varmint stainless flute
It's cdl sf 30-06
pm sent to you
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Blasting media - 07/16/17
Just redo the whole thing and then it will match perfect. Don't do the bottom metal as those are actually painted aluminum.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Blasting media - 07/17/17
I'd seriously try Silica Dioxide, fine. You might be crushing the glass beads on the steel and that is why it is changing colors.Just a guess though.

When I was working in a machine shop.Usually glass beads were used for aluminum and the silica dioxide for steel. The lass beads gave the aluminum a frosted look.It was great for taking out smaller machine tool marks. Where as the steel came out the same color,but a rougher finish
© 24hourcampfire