Home
Posted By: Offshoreman Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/22/17
Can anyone of you mill a guide slot in a older 700 bolt for me? Not having a mill, I'm not going to screw with it myself - want it done right (that's true humility showing - as Dirty Harry says, "A man's got to know his limitations.") smile
Posted By: Kp321 Re: Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/22/17
I hate to use the D word on a gunsmith forum, but a Dremel with a cutoff wheel is the ideal way to cut this slot, finish up with a thin needle file. You do need a new bolt for a pattern.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/22/17
Ayyuupp, that's the way to do it......NOT
Go to the Oct 26 post for pics.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/8671075902/p/4
Posted By: z1r Re: Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/22/17
Dremel, lol.

Listen to Butch and have it done the right way.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/22/17
I recently cut one with a file after marking it with a scribe. It has a better finish than the cutter left on the factory one I used for a pattern. I probably have a much wider array of files than Joe average but it can be done correctly without a mill.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I recently cut one with a file after marking it with a scribe. It has a better finish than the cutter left on the factory one I used for a pattern. I probably have a much wider array of files than Joe average but it can be done correctly without a mill.

And incredible Old-World guns prove your point...

But how many have the skills AND the tools?

AND the time?

wink
Originally Posted by Kp321
I hate to use the D word on a gunsmith forum, but a Dremel with a cutoff wheel is the ideal way to cut this slot, finish up with a thin needle file. You do need a new bolt for a pattern.

Ya' know, the half nuts on most Dremel Tool user's X axis just don't set up quite as tight as those on a milling machine.
I hate to HEAR the "D word" bandied about, and no advice is better than bad advice.

GTC
I also did one with files, maybe a year ago, which worked out very well. But like TheKind, I also have a lot more files than most people, plus plenty of experience with using small hand-tools, both on wood and metal.

Also have a Dremel, and did NOT consider using it!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Need 700 bolt slot milled - 09/23/17
The MacFarland book shows how to make a dovetail cut on a barrel with a hacksaw and a triangular file.
I know a guy who runs a dremel tool on his lathe like a tool post grinder and gets into tiny spots to make ham radio cavities.

Me, I just buy Rem 700 bolts from PTG. Less skill required.
I can do it for you. I use a woodruff key seat cutter in the mill and it only takes about 30 seconds.
Originally Posted by Timnterra
I can do it for you. I use a woodruff key seat cutter in the mill and it only takes about 30 seconds.

I'm sure that includes your setup time.
On a rate of $100 an hour, wouldn't that be $.83. You work cheap.
© 24hourcampfire