Home
Posted By: Adams 90 Degree Bolt Turn Solution - 10/15/17
I have been opening my bolts with my thumb and fingers for 40 years. I have gone to only rifles that have 60 degree turns because when wearing gloves on a 90 degree turn my glove gets stuck between the bolt and scope.

I am in the process of looking for a .338 win mag but can't find one I like in a 60 degree turn. I might hunt the big bears with this gun and I don't want to relearn using the palm of my hand as I will enough on my mind when shooting one of those big boys.

So I had the thought cross my mind about having the bolt handle made longer some how. So I started researching and I see they make longer after market bolt handles.

I like everything about the savage 16/116 weather warrior except the bolt turn. Do you think adding a longer bolt handle would solve the problem of getting my thumb stuck between the bolt handle and the scope?

I'm also going on a guided elk hunt on horse back. Would it be a problem fitting this longer bolt handle in scabbard?

Thanks
Adams
Contact Dan Armstrong. http://www.accu-tig.com/
Dan is in Alaska so allow for the time difference when calling. Dan has replaced countless bolt handles for me. He is very prompt and reasonable.
Yes that should work and as far as a scabbard goes I like the type that has a cut out for the bolt. This can catch brush but will be fastest for unsheathing the rifle. On a Savage you can swap out the bolt in a couple of minutes, they make good emergency bottle openers too. Bigger knob might also work but they look fugly to me.
© 24hourcampfire