Home
Picked up a Ruger M77 Mark II all weather that is in desperate need of some trigger work. First and foremost I don't want to lose any reliablility. Hoping to get it down around 3 lbs but unsure if a trigger job on the stock stuff would be best or if I should just have a Timney put in. Looking for thoughts and a recommendation on who to have do the work.
Just rework the MKII trigger. No need in getting a Timney for it. Those Ruger triggers can be tuned, to be very nice. I usually drop mine down to around 2.5-3 pounds. I don't know your location, so don't know who to suggest to fine tune that trigger for you... If it were mine, I'd do it myself, but then again, there's a lot of preliminary work I do to the M77 before I even take them to the range.
Yes, the Ruger triggers can be made very nice. The Timneys are great, too, but for me their spring is far too light for a hunting or field gun. I used the Ruger spring with the Timney parts when that receiver was a field gun. Now that it's set up for match shooting, I use all the Timney parts together.
Tune the factory pieces. The angle sets the pressure, the bevel sets the sear engagement and the spring resets it. I can get them as low as 6 ounces and up. The cleanest job is done with a fixture. The more I work with Ruger 77 MKII the more I like them over a 700 for a solid budget build. Even if I had an unlimited rifle budget if I was going to the farthest reaches of the earth and could only have one rifle to live off of it would be the Ruger All Weather 77 MKII.
© 24hourcampfire