Home
Posted By: troutslayer Best recoil pad - 12/07/17
What is the best recoil pad for a hard kicker?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Best recoil pad - 12/07/17
Decelerator.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Best recoil pad - 12/07/17
That's kind of what I was thinking...that or a Limbsaver.
Posted By: JPro Re: Best recoil pad - 12/07/17
Limbsaver, Kick-Eeze, and Remington Supercell seem more effective to me than a Decelerator, but not by a huge margin. The Decelerator looks better and is sturdier.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best recoil pad - 12/07/17
As many square inches and as many inches thick as a Limbsaver as you can get.

Limbsaver is made of a lossy material. Some of the recoil energy goes into heating the pad.

My father did a math derivation of a parabolic taper of hydraulic recoil mechanism [rather than empirically derived with tables at Rock Island Arsenal], 70 years ago.... but you would still need the Limbsaver with compliance to form fit the shoulder and get more square inches of contact.

The goal is to keep the maximum pressure below 20 psi anywhere on the skin. This requires averaging the impulse over time and area. Hydraulic could average over time, but the soft pad can average over more area. The Limbsaver does both.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
The material the Kick-Eeze, Limbsaver, and other similar pads are made of is hard to grind it wants to roll and crumble. Decelerator is easier to get a nice clean job of fitting than the others.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
Just replaced a Limbsaver that was guaranteed not to melt but did with a Decelerator on my 375H&H Belted Magnum.

Lousy paying twice for the same thing plus fitting.

I am happy with the Decelerator.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
I have Limbsavers on most of my long guns and find they make a huge difference in felt recoil.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
Decelerator
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
Thanks for all the replys. I guess I'll just have to decide for myself.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
limbsavers just don't hold up
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Best recoil pad - 12/08/17
Decelerator for me as well.
Posted By: greydog Re: Best recoil pad - 12/10/17
A good recoil pad should work well without being butt-ugly. A Limbsaver may work well enough but it certainly falls down on the second requirement. Decelerator. GD
Posted By: Tejano Re: Best recoil pad - 12/10/17
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Just replaced a Limbsaver that was guaranteed not to melt but did with a Decelerator on my 375H&H Belted Magnum.

Lousy paying twice for the same thing plus fitting.

I am happy with the Decelerator.

Limsaver gave me a free one no questions asked. Mine was a pre-fit Rem. so no charge for fitting. They had a bad batch of material about the time the Rem. pad was offered so this is not the norm.

Limbsaver sure work but for looks and durability I like Pachmayer. I also think the softer pads transfer more felt recoil to my face. On a big kicker or high volume shoot I like the PAST recoil shield as it is the same sorbathane material as the Limbsaver. The pad and a decelerator makaes just about anything tolerable until you go to a 458 Lott or bigger.
© 24hourcampfire