Home
What method/material do you use to remove carbon deposit from revolver chambers? I am talking about the crud ring left from shooting special ammo in magnum chambers. A mixture of GM Top Engine Cleaner #1050002 and Marvel Mystery Oil 4:1 has been recommended. Anyone use this?
Originally Posted by gunswizard
What method/material do you use to remove carbon deposit from revolver chambers? I am talking about the crud ring left from shooting special ammo in magnum chambers. A mixture of GM Top Engine Cleaner #1050002 and Marvel Mystery Oil 4:1 has been recommended. Anyone use this?

replace the marvel mystery oil with kroil oil it works faster
I have been using carb cleaner to soak.

If it stubborn i put some kroil and let is soak.
make sure you have a brush a little larger,it helps.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

One of the people at Freedom Arms told me to get a Mason jar and fill it with Hoppes #9 and let it soak for a day. It worked.
Why not try one of the carbon specific bore cleaners?
elbow grease and a little larger brush
Originally Posted by mathman
Why not try one of the carbon specific bore cleaners?

I get sick and tired of you guys around here who use common sense. grin

And as others have stated Kroil works well too.
How about the old Lewis Lead Remover? Never had to deal with the carbon problem but it really works great on lead.
I use KG1 solvent on them and it works like a charm. I used other carbon cleaners which did not work quite so well.
Originally Posted by youngbill
elbow grease and a little larger brush

They make brushes specifically for revolver chambers...
A soaking in Ed's Red and wait. Sometimes it takes overnight. Sometime it takes 2 weeks, but Ed's Red will loosen it.
https://www.amazon.com/Berkebile-Oi...I6JM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Great stuff.Carbon just flows right out.
Quick shot of carb cleaner and if stubborn then a soak in Transmission fluid over night. If leaded or copper-ed then I use the appropriate gun cleaner and JB bore compound.

Proper brush(es) are critical.
I do not shoot shorter brass since accuracy is not as good. But the carbon ring is easy to clean out if you do. Try M-Pro 7 or Butch's Bore Shine. Nothing wrong with Hoppe's either. Just a brush.
Hoppe's and a brush as part of general cleaning.
Bought a SS 357 Blackhawk that must have been fired hundreds if not thousands or rounds of 38 Special.
I finally would soak, then use a 41 or 45 brass cleaning brush , chucked into a cordless drill to get it clean.
Wore out a couple brushes at least, but she finally came clean.

© 24hourcampfire