Home
Posted By: 257heaven Ed's Red - 01/06/18
It is some wicked stuff. I mixed up 3 gallons today. ATF, Kerosene, and Mineral Spirits. I've had a Win Model 100 post-'64 .308 for several months and I've avoided fixing it up because it was dirty as all getout. I soaked the action end in Ed's Red for about 6 hours today and then wiped it down and blew it out with a compressor. It's clean as a whistle now. I have a NOS Weaver side swing mount and NOS rings and a period Leupold 3X that I'll mount and see if it shoots. Should be fun!
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Ed's Red - 01/06/18
Fun!

Yes, ol Ed's Red is terrific. I use it mostly just as you did - to rehab old stuff. Also triggers, lever/pump/semi bolts that don't want to disassemble today, thin lube for semi-auto's that live outside (garage, etc).

I only make two mason jars at a time. Just curious, how are you storing 3 gallons handily? Thanks.
Posted By: Darkker Re: Ed's Red - 01/06/18
From a longtime E.R. user, take a stab at "Pristine". Can get it at 300below.com, or Amazon.
$16 for the concentrate that makes 2.75 gallons of cleaner. The best carbon killer I've ever had.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ed's Red - 01/06/18
CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)
http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=9

The ATF and acetone is a good penetrating oil.

Acetone is a good solvent but releases VOCs. Use with ventilation.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ed's Red - 01/06/18
I substituted cheap lacquer thinner in the probably misguided theory it wouldn't evaporate out as fast.Anyway couldn't find acetone in town. Lacquer thinner will contain a portion of acetone with less volatile compounds with the same solvent nature. Both work as solvents for nitrocelluose (nitro solvent).

I have no use for kerosene so I didn't have any but had an old can of Marvel Mystery Oil and substituted that. I like the smell. Petroleum, probably kerosene, based.

Anyway the stuff works very well, as well as any non-decoppering commercial solvent I've used.Much cheaper too. (I Store in camp fuel cans and Sea Foam cans.)
Between the ATF fluid and Mystery Oil I can't see the point of messing with lanolin.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ed's Red - 01/06/18
Equal parts of Mobile 1, Dexron and mineral spirits....
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
But you're missing the nitro solvent (partially burned powder).
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Ed Harris gave the recipe for his home brew solvent long before he turned it loose on the world. I use it in lieu of Hoppes as a bore cleaner, seasoning for chili, as a mixer with slivovitz, and a cure for bad breath. It works.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
I've used it for years, also minus the lanolin. It just works.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
For some reason, I had it my memory banks that Kroil was part of the mix?
Posted By: dave284 Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ed Harris gave the recipe for his home brew solvent long before he turned it loose on the world. I use it in lieu of Hoppes as a bore cleaner, seasoning for chili, as a mixer with slivovitz, and a cure for bad breath. It works.

It works pretty good on the clap too.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
gnoahhh, You mean there is someone else who likes slivovitz? Long ago one of the old reporters did a story on the Orient Express. They served a shot of the stuff with breakfast. After he got through making faces he exclaimed, " Ahh! Breakfast of champions!"
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

Acetone is a good solvent but
releases
is VOCs. Use with ventilation.

fixt it for you...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Not liking this latest edition much...
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Fun!

Yes, ol Ed's Red is terrific. I use it mostly just as you did - to rehab old stuff. Also triggers, lever/pump/semi bolts that don't want to disassemble today, thin lube for semi-auto's that live outside (garage, etc).

I only make two mason jars at a time. Just curious, how are you storing 3 gallons handily? Thanks.

I had it in a 5-gallon bucket to soak. Now it's in a plastic diesel gas container I had laying around.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ed's Red - 01/07/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

Acetone is a good solvent but releases VOCs. Use with ventilation.

I did not add the acetone. Just ATF, kerosene, and mineral spirits. This stuff just works. I used a cup to pour some down the barrel and where the gas parts meet the barrel up front and it still had a wet coating on it the next morning.

I read that it's been proven as a better penetrating lubricant than PB Blaster etal.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
So what part of this attacks copper fouling?
Posted By: mathman Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
If Ed's Red dissolves crap I wouldn't leave a Winchester 100 in it for long. grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Nothing, to my knowledge. It's just a general purpose solvent, like Hoppes only better, IMO.

With the exception of the optional lanolin, don't substitute or delete any of the components. Ed experimented to a fare-thee-well as well as consulted with chemists to arrive at the best proportions. Deleting any component compromises the overall effectiveness.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
I didn't like the smell so added orange oil which helps as a solvent. Just don't get it on the stock or any painted surfaces. I will add some mystery oil too. The acetone evaporated even through a ground glass stopper but it still works. Works great on stuck bolts and nuts too. I am tempted to add banana oil to it so it smells more like the old Hoppe's #9.
For the old #9 smell I think you'll also need some nitrobenzene.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
I love the smell of the 3-ingredient Ed’s Red. I found myself walking in and out of the garage just to get my fix!! I think I will drag out a couple of old grungy semi-auto 22’s I shot when I was a kid just so I can smell the smell again!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ed's Red - 01/08/18
Originally Posted by mathman
If Ed's Red dissolves crap I wouldn't leave a Winchester 100 in it for long. grin

Man. That’s cold-blooded. True........but cold-blooded!
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I came to dislike them watching a friend of mine deal with his.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ed's Red - 01/09/18
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I came to dislike them watching a friend of mine deal with his.

I have owned 2 that fired every time I pulled the trigger. Both in 308. This is my 3rd and I'm knocking on wood at the moment! Hoping for another good one. All I know is it's clean as a whistle!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Ed's Red - 01/09/18
For the old #9 smell I think you'll also need some nitrobenzene.

That's the toxic part but might try Benzoin or the wintergreen oils like Marvel Mystery oil.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ed's Red - 01/10/18
I'm a huge Ed's Red fan. I've been using it for over a decade.

My latest Ed's Red success story is the new LHR Redeption muzzleloader I got over the summer. It's wonderful, and the innovative breech plug design makes cleaning easy. However, the plug gets seriously fouled. I started out shooting Triple 7, just because I it laying around. When I got the rifle home the powder fouling around the plug was tremendoud. I just wrapped it in a 2X2 patch soaked in Ed's Red and let it stand overnight. I was able to wipe (not scrub) the plug clean in the morning.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Ed's Red - 01/10/18
Ammonia hurts the new coated S&W handguns. Even Hoppes #9 has a little Nh3. So I started using Ed’s red. Could not be more pleased. But you need to keep it tightly sealed or the light ends will evaporate. Plastic spray bottle from Ace hardware works real well.
Hasbeen
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ed's Red - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I've used it for years, also minus the lanolin. It just works.

I just copied from the web page. I didn't use lanolin either.

And, +1 on the camp fuel cans for storage. Competent container that seals well with no evaporation.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ed's Red - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Nothing, to my knowledge. It's just a general purpose solvent, like Hoppes only better, IMO.

With the exception of the optional lanolin, don't substitute or delete any of the components. Ed experimented to a fare-thee-well as well as consulted with chemists to arrive at the best proportions. Deleting any component compromises the overall effectiveness.

Some people have to "reinvent" the wheel they've been given.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Ed's Red - 01/16/18
Originally Posted by 1minute
For some reason, I had it my memory banks that Kroil was part of the mix?

No- but ATF fluid thinned with Acetone is.a good SUBSTITUTE for Kroil .
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ed's Red - 01/16/18
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Ammonia hurts the new coated S&W handguns. Even Hoppes #9 has a little Nh3. So I started using Ed’s red. Could not be more pleased. But you need to keep it tightly sealed or the light ends will evaporate. Plastic spray bottle from Ace hardware works real well.
Hasbeen

Plastic containers won't stop highly volatile liquids, like acetone, from evaporating.That's why they are sold in metal cans.
© 24hourcampfire