Home
Posted By: Taconic11 Scope on a 514T - 03/18/18
I have a '42 Rem. 514T 22 training rifle with a receiver sight. Is there a way to put a scope on it without drilling & tapping for mounts. It was a gift and I would like to keep it original as possible.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Scope on a 514T - 03/18/18
Sorry - It's a 513T Matchmaster.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Scope on a 514T - 03/18/18
without drilling and tapping, sorry, No
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Scope on a 514T - 03/19/18
Actually, if you hold your breathe long enough, you might come across a very late model 513T that has a grooved receiver.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Scope on a 514T - 03/19/18
Vianni used to make a mount that used existing holes on the barrel and the peep sight holes. I don't think they are available anymore. Not to hard to duplicate for a decent machinist but probably not cheap. Google shows pics of rifles with a cantilever mount attached to the barrel just in front of the action. Does your barrel have any threaded holes on top?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Scope on a 514T - 03/19/18
It is a bit of a dilemma. Personally, when shopping for vintage .22 target rifles I don't view ones that have target scope blocks installed as detracting from their value- it was commonly done back then, and a Fecker or Unertl scope on such a beast is a an added plus value-wise. (And who could ever say that said holes were added last week or 80 years ago?) On the other hand, a vintage target rifle with a set of Weavers and a Leupold 3-9x is a major turnoff and grounds for negotiating the price way down if not actually walking away from it entirely. Again, just my opinion.

It's the rare (or at least uncommon) top shelf .22 target rifle from that era, Remington or Winchester, that doesn't already have target scope blocks installed on the barrel anyway in my experience.
© 24hourcampfire