Home
Just bought my first pre 1964 Winchester model and the extractor very loose. I can actually lift the rear of the extractor about the width of a dime rim. Is this normal ? I have yet to shoot it. I would like to tighten it up a bit. Should I replace the extractor collar first ? thank you
I would shoot it then if it didn't work get another.
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Just bought my first pre 1964 Winchester model and the extractor very loose. I can actually lift the rear of the extractor about the width of a dime rim. Is this normal ? I have yet to shoot it. I would like to tighten it up a bit. Should I replace the extractor collar first ? thank you

It can be adjusted
The M-70 extractor collars are rather flimsy. They can be reshaped to tighten the extractor but will eventually loosen again. I have adapted a M-98 Mauser collar in the past.
Originally Posted by Patrick_James

The extractor tail just needs a bit of tensioning to get it tighter... SLIGHTLY bend it inward and reassemble. If still a bit loose, bend it just a hair more..
© 24hourcampfire