Home
Posted By: pharmvet Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/22/18
A couple years ago I decided to get serious about cleaning my rifles. I purchased some nice Dewey rods, brushes, etc. I got some Montana solvents, copper killer bore conditioner etc. I also got some “KROIL” oil. I put everything in a metal ammo box. Every time opened the box there was a strong solvent smell and some oily liquid in the bottom of the Ammo can. I wasn’t able to pinpoint the source. Last night, I opened the can for the first time in a year. Bottom of can was full of oily liquid. I removed each bottle, cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol, and set it out on a piece of cardboard. This morning I was able to determine that the Kroil was leaking out of its metal can. I read on the label that it is “the oil that creeps”. Which brings me to my question:
Is it the norm for Kroil to leak from it’s can because it’s so good at penetrating into tiny cracks and crevices, of does the first and only can I have ever owned simply leak uncharacteristically?
I never had that problem
Me either. I've had a full can on my shelf as I go about emptying its partner. Been at least a year on the shelf.
Steve, I need that can when you empty it! Lol
Posted By: DocEd Re: Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/22/18
I've often wondered about that. The label says it will penetrate 1 millionth of an inch.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/22/18
I have a can that does the same. I have always kept it on a folded paper towel. It hasn't leaked much but always shows a stain on the towel.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/22/18
Originally Posted by ipopum
I have a can that does the same. I have always kept it on a folded paper towel. It hasn't leaked much but always shows a stain on the towel.

Same here, I keep mine in a baggie to avoid the mess. I'm sure Kroil could come up with a better container if they tried, but they sell more this way.
Originally Posted by ipopum

Same here
I had a can that leaked, put the contents in a plastic bottle that had contained dry gas and it softened the plastic, same thing with a bottle from fuel additive. Guess I'll put it in a glass bottle next.
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Steve, I need that can when you empty it! Lol

You got it. You remind me though.
I've had the cans leak too. It's sneaky stuff. Which is exactly why it's useful! :-D
No leaks. A great penetrating oil, but not a lubricant at all.
Originally Posted by 1minute
No leaks. A great penetrating oil, but not a lubricant at all.

Yep.
Yep. You can transfer it to either a brown Hendrick's Gin bottle (with cork stopper) or a Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select bottle (again, with the cork stopper) and the problem goes away.

And in the meantime, before the bottles are empty, you probably won't care. grin

RM
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yep. You can transfer it to either a brown Hendrick's Gin bottle (with cork stopper) or a Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select bottle (again, with the cork stopper) and the problem goes away.

And in the meantime, before the bottles are empty, you probably won't care. grin

RM

You could put it in an Usher's Green Stripe bottle and it would be smoother than the original contents. laugh
Originally Posted by DocEd
I've often wondered about that. The label says it will penetrate 1 millionth of an inch.

It will pass between the metal molecules of the can.
More likely that it passed thru the seam at the bottom of the can.
Posted By: weagle Re: Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/24/18
I put mine in a glass bottle because the can leaked.
I have 2 8 ounce metal cans and a metal one gallon can. They are easily 20 years old at this point and the gallon can is unopened. I had one other gallon can that is used up. None of them leaked.

I would agree with the post that said it is leaking out a seam in the can.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
More likely that it passed thru the seam at the bottom of the can.

Nope. I watched it migrate 'tween the molecules.
I stopped buying the Kroil in the regular cans, because of this very problem. I couldn't keep it in the cans, and I put the cans in plastic bags and they leaked also.. They need to improve their packaging. I only buy the spray cans now and it stays put in the can until I push the button. They aren't kidding when they say it creeps.
Posted By: natman Re: Question about Kroil oil??? - 04/30/18
Yes, it's happened to me too.
Reminds me of the story of the court Alchymist.. He came running into the presence of the king, shouting SIRE! I HAVE CREATED THE UNIVERSAL SOLVENT! " and in response the king had him Immediately put to death, for lying to his king. Clearly, such a solvent would desolve the bottle itself, and never be contained.
Evidently the alchemist had discovered Kroil.
I've never had an 8 ounce or 1 gallon can of Kroil leak.
© 24hourcampfire