Home
this is a Winchester mod 94AE hammer spring guide rod(PICTURE IN ATTATCHMENT) ,,you will notice ,it has only ONE upper prong ,i assume because of the receiver push button safeties on some year rifles .My 94AE was made in 1984 so has no safeties,but still has the rebounding hammer ,my hammer spring guide rod has TWO upper prongs ,can i still use the guide rod with ONE prong without any problems ?just wondering since my rifle has no safety button on right side ,that it will have a gap causing the hammer to bind or move sideways .I want to grind off the lower rebound legs ,because of light strikes and put a wolffe lower power main spring to lower trigger weight from 6.2 pounds that it has now ,would rather keep original guide rod in original condition ,in case i sell it,or this mods dont work ,hence ,trying this one prong part ,have not found a 2 pronger even on internet

Attached picture U34280020_100x100.jpg
It looks like this place has three different part numbers of guide rods. Maybe one of them is like yours?

Guide Rods

A few years ago I worked on my 94AE. It has a side safety and rebounding hammer. I ground the guide to remove the rebound feature and found a spring at the local hardware store. Trigger pull is under 4lbs now and the action significantly easier and smoother to cycle. I have several years and several hundred rounds with this mod and it's been flawless.

So, my advice would be to get a spare guide rod and start grinding and swapping springs until you get what you want.
I assume you don't have the half cock notch, so you would only have cocked or hammer down?
Good point. I can rest my hammer on the cross bolt safety, but the OP can't since he doesn't have one. So that issue needs solved before removing the rebounding feature.
I think the best approach is to get a bunch of older 94 parts, so you have the half cock notch.
© 24hourcampfire