Home
This might be a very basic question, but I'm by no means an expert. I have a Remington 760 that started life as a .35 Remington, and was rechambered to .358 Win. When it was done, whoever restamped the caliber designation did so in a very sloppy manner, and frankly it looks like crap. Is there any way to have that area ground down and a new, neater stamp done? Or it basically not worth the time/money/effort?
I've a had 3 or 4 rifles rebored/rechambered and ran into the same issue. In the end, I milled out the erroneous/poor markings and had the caliber re-engraved in the cut-out.
If it's not to deep the barrel can be filed down and resanded or polished and then have it professionally engraved really nice. If it is blued that is going to be the biggest expense.

Here's an example from one of my rifles. This was originally a .30-06 that was rechambered to .30 Gibbs by Mr. Ray Montgomery. Looks like it was milled out over the original marking and then remarked.

[Linked Image]
^^^ Nicely done. Ray does good work

I think Ray passed away a few years ago. From what I understand, he was a disciple of P.O. Ackley. Barrel was not reblued. I'm guessing he used a blueing pen or something similar, then stamped the chambering markings.
I din't know he wasn't with us anymore. He put my 264 WM together.
Ray was a co-worker of mine when we worked in the gunsmihing shop at Browning Arms Co.. I remarked my rebored .35 Whelen the same as in the above picture, a little cold blue touch up and done.
Glad someone was able to post a pic. This is the way I've had my rebored/rechambered rifle marked.

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Here's an example from one of my rifles. This was originally a .30-06 that was rechambered to .30 Gibbs by Mr. Ray Montgomery. Looks like it was milled out over the original marking and then remarked.

[Linked Image]
I have an etch-o-matic and use a stencil to mark my rebored and rechambered barrels. Have rented it to others several times and they all seem to be pleased with it. It works really well on blued barrels due to the contrasting colors.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/#/topics/263534

Thanks, Dinny
Thanks guys. Going to check with a couple local guys about cleaning it up.
© 24hourcampfire