Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/06/18
Friend needs his 250-300 relined. Help please with recommendations.
best bet is find a take off barrel. know of no one that will reline 250-3000 power level barrel.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/07/18
Might want to check with John Taylor. He knows what he's doing when it comes to liners. He's active/posts on the ASSRA forum.
I did send him a PM.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/07/18
Let us know his response.
A quick search shows nothing but Cowboy calibers and rimfire.
Looks as though I might be rechambering a barrel for him.
Posted By: greydog Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/08/18
Re-lining is possible but not an easy task. The barrel has to be bored out quite thin and a 4140 blank turned to make the liner. I prefer to thread the liner for the receiver and cut off the threaded portion of the barrel. In essence, one rebarrels the rifle with the liner then installs the shell of the original barrel over it. The liner and barrel are bonded together with epoxy. The original barrel becomes nothing more than a thin sleeve over the new barrel. The job is a bit of a pain in the neck and from an economic standpoint, is hardly worth it; being roughly three times as much work as just installing a new barrel. GD
Posted By: Craigster Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/08/18
Barrels are lined, not re-lined. Unless you are replacing a liner. Sorry, just a pet peeve. And I have a few more if you're interested...
Originally Posted by Craigster
Barrels are lined, not re-lined. Unless you are replacing a liner. Sorry, just a pet peeve. And I have a few more if you're interested...

"Calm down, Francis"!
Posted By: greydog Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/08/18
I don't think that is an issue and don't much care. GD
Posted By: Craigster Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/08/18
Originally Posted by greydog

Nor do I.
Originally Posted by greydog

Sorry the wife and I missed your visit. Next year I hope.
Posted By: ctw Re: Savage 99 barrel reline - 12/09/18
When you fit a new barrel any chance you could snap a few pictures of the process?
Originally Posted by ctw
When you fit a new barrel any chance you could snap a few pictures of the process?

If I chamber it, I will do that.
© 24hourcampfire