Home
How tight should they be and what order should they be tightened?

Have never torqued an action screw, I just tighten them down.

Winchester never published torque specs or sequence for pre64 M70’s.
Years ago I called Winchester with the same question. Values have changed since then. Their answer then was 25 in/lbs front and rear, and middle just tight enough to keep the screw from backing out. I got several different answers from Remington. What I do is use the highest value mentioned to me with both, 40 in/lbs front & rear for Winchester, same value middle screw. On Remington, 40 in/lbs front, just enough to stay on rear. I have changed values a couple of times while tuning a rifle. I have one on Montana action, that I changed until I hit accuracy. That change took it to 55 in/lbs. YMMV
I have had good results by snugging the three guard screws up first, then tightening the front screw as tight as I can with a good fitting screw driver, the rear next and nearly as tight, the middle just in snug. If it is a Standard and has a forend screw it gets run in very snug, backed out, and then turned in until it stops. This has always worked for me and I have had a lot of pre 64 model 70's.
Yes, I should have said it is a standard. That extra forend screw is interesting. Kinda destroys the whole "free float" idea. Thanks for the comments. I purchased a screwdriver set from Wheeler last year. Very useful. I still haven't shot this thing.
I've got quite a number of pre 64s, all shoot consistently under an inch for me except a FW and it no longer lives here. I tighten the front screw hard, hard. Then I snug the rear screw and only tighten the middle screw to the point the floor plate will close right. My thought process is that tightening front and rear a set torque value works only if the action is bedded perfectly. If it isn't bedded perfectly, tightening them the same can only torque the action which I don't think is conducive to accuracy. I sincerely doubt these factory stocks are bedded all that well. Others will probably find different methods that work for them, this is only what I have experienced.
Phil
Using torque wrenches on rifles is a total waste of time and effort, there are so many different people involved in building factory rifles that there is no way to come up with a reasonable torque figure that would make a whit of difference. only the supreme anal people can come up with that crap....Flame on you all. HAHA

Originally Posted by Hubert
Using torque wrenches on rifles is a total waste of time and effort, there are so many different people involved in building factory rifles that there is no way to come up with a reasonable torque figure that would make a whit of difference. only the supreme anal people can come up with that crap....Flame on you all. HAHA

Yep.
Oh, forgot to mention that one of the first things I do is to take the forend screw out and put it in a drawer.
Phil
© 24hourcampfire