Home
Anybody know how to remove the firing pin and spring on a Ruger 77 MKII ? Is it something I can do myself of better bring to a gunsmith. I got a new Tubbs pin and spring to install.

Thanks.
I know how to take out the whole assembly, but never broke it down all the way. To take out the assembly simply pull the bolt. Then at the rear where the cocking piece sticks out you will see a little hole going crossways. Stick a paperclip through the hole then you can just unscrew the whole assemble from the bolt.
Yep, done that already. I need to get the spring an pin off.
Ruger say that's a no no. Look here: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/22.pdf

See page 19 of 46.

Thanks,
Bill
Yeah, I read that but I thought that someone would know how to do it anyway. Guess I'll have to pay the gunsmith a visit.
thanks
I use a cut off rear screw bushing from a mauser. This is cut to the proper length then dropped down into the bolt body (the proper length arrived at by trial and error). The shoulder of the firing pin sits against this bushing then, as the bolt shroud is turned in, the striker protrudes from the rear of the shroud enough to expose the crosspin which holds the firing pin assy together. Remove the pin then you should be able to remove the firing pin from the cocking piece. Unscrew the shroud and the pin will come right out. If you were unable to seperate the pin and cocking piece, don't worry about it. When the shroud is removed from the bolt body, the spring will probably remove it for you. Be careful! Springs can launch pieces with amazing velocity.
It may be a bit difficult to reinstall with the Tubbs unit since the spring is likely a bit stiffer. Otherwise it is simply the old "re-assemble in reverse order" drill. There are tools available from Brownells which make the whole operation a bit easier but I've never bothered with them. GD
I have had the firing pins out Ruger bolts. It takes two people and a bit of patience. It really is under very high pressure. We didn't need anything special to do it other than strong hands. We just pushed the firing pin into the bench to compress the spring farther to expose the crosspin which slides out easy. Getting it lined up going back together is the tricky part.
Thanks GD and HG, I did thanks to your intruction. I used a cut off .223 brass for a sleeve and inserted in the bolt and screwed the firing pin assembly like GD said to expose the crosspin. An yes, compressing the new spring is the hard part. Still have both eyes but I have a bleeding knuckle now. The new Tubb spring which is supposed to be factory weight is MUCH stiffer than my factory spring was. Hopefully that will solve my misfiring problems. The trigger now feels heavier as well.

Thanks guys, you saved me a couple bucks at the gunsmith.
© 24hourcampfire