Home
Posted By: WVGuy Removing muzzle brake - 06/14/19
Is there anything special I have to do to remove a brake? Can I put a punch in the holes for leverage?

How do you know which way they are threaded?

Thanks in advance.

Warren
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/14/19
righty tighty, lefty loosey, as you are facing the muzzle. if there are no flats for a wrench i use a friction wrench, ie. a strap wrench. if that dosen't work i use a punch, screwdriver etc. worst can happen is you can bend a flute.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/14/19
I've never removed a muzzle brake, but I had a pressure washer triplex pump with very stubborn cracked ceramic pistons to remove. I made a wooden bushing and clamped it to the piston. Worked great. Wrapped the pistons with a little masking tape for better grip and snugger fit.

Link for larger pic: Clamped Wooden Bushing pic

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by WVGuy
Is there anything special I have to do to remove a brake? Can I put a punch in the holes for leverage?
Yes.. Hopefully whoever put it on didn't use loktite or similar.. Blue - ok. Red, you got a problem.. smile

How do you know which way they are threaded?

Thanks in advance.

Warren
RH threads...
Posted By: TheKid Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/14/19
Remington custom shop guns with brakes have LH threads, just FYI. If you suspect it’s Loctite and it isn’t painted, IE Dura, Cera, or any other coating, hit it with a propane torch to heat it up a little. Loctite will turn loose when heated.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/16/19
Thanks for the information. I was able to use a punch and unscrew the brake. Now, I need to get a cap to cover the threads when I take it off.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Removing muzzle brake - 06/16/19
Midway usa has thread protectors in stock..
© 24hourcampfire