Home
Posted By: AcesNeights Stuck choke - 08/12/19
I know....I know but it’s not mine. My buddy hid some of his stuff when he was splitting from his psycho wife and forgot about his Mossberg 935. I’m diligent about maintaining my equipment and using choke lube/ant-seize but he’d just as soon go buy new. I want to salvage this POS and was wondering if there’s any tricks? I’ve been soaking it with PB Blaster but so far no luck. I’ve shot several rounds of trap hoping to break it free but no luck.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance. 👍
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Stuck choke - 08/12/19
Never had one that wouldn't give but they tell me sticking it in the deep freeze may break it loose. Worth a try.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Stuck choke - 08/12/19
Go to the hardware store and get an easy out, It's rather large, lie 3/4 inch. Secure the barrel in a pipe vise or between 2 pieces of soft wood, the barrel will want to spin and you don't want to torque it, obviously. Tap the easy out in a and it ]'ll spin the choke out - I've only had one or two chokes tubes that were salvageable but every barrel wa ready for a new choke. Chokes are thin walled so don't "drive it it" just tap until it stops then spin it out.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Stuck choke - 08/12/19
Thanks guys I thought about trying an easy out and I’ll give that a try. 👍

Appreciate the suggestions.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Stuck choke - 08/12/19
Did you try heat?
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Stuck choke - 08/12/19
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks guys I thought about trying an easy out and I’ll give that a try. 👍

Appreciate the suggestions.

Kinda the last resort though. Feels like a bigger victory if you can save the choke tube.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Stuck choke - 08/13/19
I would try several cycles of cold/heat with soaking Kroil in between.
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: Stuck choke - 08/13/19
A trick I used to remove the barrel nut on DW revolvers was to pour boiling water through the barrel. It might loosen the threads.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Stuck choke - 08/13/19
Buy a can of Break Away. invert the barrel in a jar of it for a few days, good choke tube wrench should remove it. If not, the you'll either need a pipe ez-out or find a reputable smith
Posted By: Redneck Re: Stuck choke - 08/13/19
And when (not if) all the above fails, just cut the sumbish off and reface...

BTDT... smile
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Stuck choke - 08/13/19
Kroil
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Stuck choke - 08/18/19
My brother made a choke wrench that he hooks up to his impact driver.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Stuck choke - 08/18/19
I have the 100 straight tool, it's taken out chokes even gunsmiths said were not coming out. That said, the overbored barrel on the 935 presents a challenge since i do not think I have a collet to fit those chokes
Posted By: 16bore Re: Stuck choke - 08/18/19

Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Kroil

This.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Stuck choke - 08/18/19
ATF/Acetone.

A machinist magazine did a test of a pile of different penetrating oil products.
ATF/Acetone beat them all, including Kroil.

Soak that puppy, try to keep it ait tight, acetone will evaporate off.

You could maybe get a jump by heating it up a bit before you soak it.

The EZ-out thing?

Last resort before a hacksaw.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Stuck choke - 08/27/19
Soak in ATF/Acetone or Kroil and after wiping off if it doesn't come out try ice in the choke and heating the barrel lightly then use the best tool you have. The expanding rubber type of tube tool has worked for me on stuck tubes. There is a lube that I think has copper and moly in it made for choke tubes, it never dries out.

You can make an extractor with a couple rubber lab type stoppers on a large bolt. The bolt will allow you to use a longer breaker bar for leverage. Hold the stoppers on with a nut and washer use two nuts and a lock washer on the bottom end.. Put it in the choke where you can screw down the upper nut tightly. Then use the breaker bar on the bolt head. Wash all the solvent off with brake cleaner so it is completely dry and the rubber can grab the choke first.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Stuck choke - 08/27/19
Stupid question, but it needs ask.
Around here, most 835's are Turkey guns, nothing else.

Does he really want to change tubes, or was it just a lets take it out deal?

Is it a big deal if it stays in?
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: Stuck choke - 08/27/19
Choke tubes need lubed and anti seize should be applied when installed. Dry does not work. You gall steel to steel. No penetrating oil will work.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Stuck choke - 08/27/19
Well did it come out? whistle
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Stuck choke - 08/27/19
Wondering too.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Stuck choke - 08/30/19
I’m interested to hear what worked.....

I would do the Kroil (spooky stuff), and the heat treating - heck I’d shoot it to shock it as well once it soaked in Kroil...

***. Stand the gun on the barrel and soak the choke in the solution

A couple things I didn’t hear

1) Use a brass hammer and hit the choke wrench when it’s on the choke to shock it loose.
2). Heat with a blow dryer as hot as you can get the barrel but have some metal on the choke tube to try to keep it cool.... then shock it with the brass hammer.
3). If it’s a remington - they used to make a socket tool with 4 ears for stuck chokes, I haven’t seen them for a bit but they work good.
4). Brownells has a stuck choke removal tool...

there is a video of using an easy out on youtube... not sure how safe that is to do.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2baneo4rgUA
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Stuck choke - 09/06/19
Any update?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Stuck choke - 09/07/19
Glad you posted this. It made me check all mine. Some took some rapping and tapping to get out. I went to the Auto Parts store and got copper anti siege grease. I added some moly engine assembly grease to this and viola I had a lifetime supply of choke lube for about ten bucks. The copper works much better than lithium grease I used before. With the copper the chokes don't seem to work loose like they did with grease. I read Lujtic uses STP on theirs, they should know.

I am also making my own stuck choke extractor just in case I need it. I am combining the rubber stopper and the 100 straight nut for the best of both. With the stopper jammed in the choke there is no need for the spring like on the complete 100 straight tool, so it is much more portable and will be faster to use.

Yes any followup?
© 24hourcampfire