Home
I have a 26" heavy spotter barrel. It's currently on a zastava m98 action. I've shot it less than 200 times. it is a legitimate sub one inch shooter. Due to my age and hunting needs, I am considering rebarreling. How much would be a fair price? Thanks in advance captdavid
Assuming it's blued 4140 steel, no fluting, no muzzle brake, the price for a new one from Shaw is $240 plus shipping.

Some here would try to get more than that for it. I think if you could get $200 you're doing good.
Optimistic.

If you find someone that wants a heavy, long, 280 barrel threaded for a Zastava,
That wouldn't want to spend $40 more to have new.

If you find him, great
if not, way less.
there hasn't been any mention of the extractor cut needing to line up or be recut if the barrel is to be remounted. That is a true gunmith job.
Originally Posted by strut64
there hasn't been any mention of the extractor cut needing to line up or be recut if the barrel is to be remounted. That is a true gunmith job.

Mausers don't need an extractor cut....
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by strut64

Mausers don't need an extractor cut....

Unless it is a safety breech model such as the M48.
I'd consider the value of a barrel like that at about $100, max.

Buying someone else's used take-off barrel is always iffy, along with there being a very limited market for long heavy 280 Mauser barrels, so it better be a really good deal to have any chance of selling.
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'd consider the value of a barrel like that at about $100, max.

Buying someone else's used take-off barrel is always iffy, along with there being a very limited market for long heavy 280 Mauser barrels, so it better be a really good deal to have any chance of selling.

Full agreement.
Shaw barrels are good but are not considered premium quality. I agree that $100 is the max, many new take-offs are in the $50 range.
What are you looking for?
I have:
24" Shaw in 270 - sporter weight
22" Interarms in 270 - sporter weight
23" Wilson in 308 - sporter weight
23" Stepped in 30-06 (tight bore, needs a .2993" pilot)

I'll trade any of them for a 7mm. I'll toss in $50 boot money with the stepped barrel

I have $90 on the Shaw. $65 on the Interarms, $125 on the Wilson and $40 on the stepped
Less than $100, in my view
© 24hourcampfire