Home
I just bought a Model Seven predator in 243 from a member here. I do not have the gun in hand but I'm curious about a possible rebore by someone like JES. Model Seven barrels are pretty thin but I've heard with no physical proof the predator barrels are a little heavier. Anyone here have any actual knowledge of the barrel diameter of a newer predator? I've had a longtime hankering for a 358 Winchester and this little rifle would be a beast. Probably pretty stiff recoil but I could always put a brake on it. Any thoughts, opinions, and or suggestions? If there's not enough meat for a 358 it'll likely wind up a 260 or 7mm-08.
Posted By: Owl Re: Remington Model Seven predator - 08/13/19
Probably be further ahead to get a barrel from Shilen or someone. Just my thoughts.
After some reading these predators have a magnum contour fluted barrel so maybe enough meat for a 358 if not a 7mm-08 will do as would a 260.
Maybe a 338 would work
They have a magnum contour barrel so 338 should be no problem, 358 might be close because of the flutes depending on how deep they are. Add .250 to your caliber and this is the safe minimum diameter barrel you will need. The muzzle diameter should be in the mid .6's with this rifle.
After speaking with JES there's plenty of meat to go 358 Winchester on this barrel. I'll be sending it out asap.
© 24hourcampfire