Home
Posted By: Pauldoe 1903 rebarreling - 09/09/19
I've had a 1903 Springfield action sitting around for a long time. I purchased a WW2 barrel and would like to rebarrel.
Any good threads with advice on this?
Also, what's a good source for old stocks (if any)? Haven't found any Googling.
Best,
Paul
Posted By: Craigster Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/10/19
Are you looking for a military or sporter stock ? If sporter, I have a nice NOS Bishop semi inlet that I would sell.

Military:
http://murraysgunstocks.com/MilitaryGunstocks.php

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/us-military/springfield-1903-3/stocks-03
Posted By: Pauldoe Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/10/19
Thanks for the links, Craigster!
I am looking for a complete military stock, what's your Bishop?
This will be an interesting project.
Best regards,
Paul
Posted By: Craigster Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/10/19
You're welcome.

The Bishop is a sporter similar to this:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/oldclassic.htm
Posted By: Pauldoe Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/10/19
Nice - if I change my mind and do a sporter I'll look you up!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/11/19
I got a CMP 1903 that came with an A3 stock....not correct in my eyes but I’m anal like that. I went to the CMP forums online and navigated to the classifieds (can’t remember if I visited the 03/03A3 forum first or not). Found bunches and bunches of parts for both variants and stocks were plentiful. Got me a period correct stock with zero hassle.
Posted By: Pauldoe Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/11/19
Thanks GoDogs - I'll check it out. I see a stock set on ebay that might do-

Link to Springfield stock
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/12/19
That stock will work but it won't be exactly appropriate. It is a straight grip stock intended for the 1903A3 and as such will need to have the barrel channel opened up to accept the rear sight base of your M1903, and then there will be a visible inlet left gaping right in front of the receiver ring where the handguard capture ring of a 1903A3 would fit. After all that is dealt with you would still have a heavy stock (they were "fatter" stocks than those for M1903) without the finger grooves in the fore end that a M1903 stock should have. Inletting on those wartime 1903A3 stocks was also sloppier than those on prewar '03's.

That said, in wartime they rebuilt boat loads of M1903's with whatever parts fell to hand. It was an expedient for getting as many functional rifles into the hands of those who needed them. So, it wouldn't be terribly wrong to put that stock on a pre-war M1903- but if you're going to all this expense and trouble why not use the correct stuff? It's no longer wartime and we aren't under threat of German/Japanese attack anymore.

I'll give the same advice I've given to a lot of other guys in the same boat you're in: if you don't have a copy of Bill Brophy's book on the 1903 Springfield, take a deep breath, grit your teeth, and buy a copy then digest it. It'll save you a lot of grief down the road, and make your appreciation of that iconic rifle all the deeper.
Posted By: Pauldoe Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/12/19
Yes, I definitely agree and will not get that stock (although I have a 1903A3 - it's complete and was my first rifle)! I continue the search for an S with finger grooves.
I do have the Brophy Springfield book - it's a great resource.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/12/19
Good on you!

I once took an unissued wartime 03A3 replacement stock and adapted it to an earlier 03, including a lot of rasping/sanding, and milling of a pair of finger grooves. By the time it was all said and done I swore "never again".
Posted By: Pauldoe Re: 1903 rebarreling - 09/13/19
This fellow on CMP Forum has a finger groove stock - but $700? Isn't that a bit steep?
Early Rock Island stock
© 24hourcampfire