Home
Many years ago I bought the NECO barrel fire-lapping kit. It was so long ago that I can't remember which rifles I used it on or how well it worked. So, in an effort to improve a 308's barrel, I have ordered pre-loaded ammo from David Tubb's website. Has anyone used this kit, and what results (hopefully positive) did you achieve?
The Final Finish bullets can work wonders sometimes if the problem is in the barrel.I have a 300 Win Mag that just never shot worth a damn.I ran the whole 50 bullets through it and it shoots better than ever.Shot a 1/4" center to center clover group at 200yds after that so I guess it didn't hurt it.This rifle now shoots better than ever.I did a few more using less bullets and it improved them as well.I have a Ruger 1 that was about an 1 1/2 inch shooter.I ran just five of the Throat Maintenance bullets through it and it can shoot well under an inch now.
200yd 300 Win Mag group
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ruger 1 went from shooting 1 1/2" groups to this 5 shot group
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thanks for the comeback. I will let you know how it works for me. I might try making my own lapping bullets again with the NECO paste for other rifles if it works.
I've used the Final Finish bullets on a few different rifles and always had good results. The most obvious result was just easy cleaning and little to no copper fouling. In one case it did improve accuracy.

It's a completely different thing than the more traditional lapping compounds used for fire-lapping, which IMO have no place in a precision rifle barrel for jacketed bullets. The Final Finish stuff is just a series of very fine polishing compounds, rubbing with your fingers the coarsest level doesn't even feel like abrasive, just a soft powder.
I have had good luck but reserve it for barrels on their way out. It can also smooth up the tool marks from a new chamber job. What is your rifle doing?
© 24hourcampfire