Home
Posted By: JamesJr Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
I have the chance to pickup a NIB Remington Model 7 Predator in 243 at a very good price. I already have one that I shoot, and really have no need for another one, but the price is almost too good to walk away from. So, my question, would it be feasible to buy it and have it recchambered for another cartridge, say a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
That's not a rechamber, that's a rebarrel job.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
"Feasible"? Maybe.... 'Worth it'? No... You still have a factory barrel.. JMHO..
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have the chance to pickup a NIB Remington Model 7 Predator in 243 at a very good price. I already have one that I shoot, and really have no need for another one, but the price is almost too good to walk away from. So, my question, would it be feasible to buy it and have it recchambered for another cartridge, say a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
"Feasible"? Maybe.... 'Worth it'? No... You still have a factory barrel.. JMHO..

You're probably right. But, I've had excellent results with those Remington barrels.

You're probably right. But, I've had excellent results with those Remington barrels.

How are you going to rechamber to a 6.5 cartridge with a 6mm hole in the barrel?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
Indeed.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by mathman

How are you going to rechamber to a 6.5 cartridge with a 6mm hole in the barrel?

OP is using 'new' math . . . . . Could be that he plans on using square bullets too. cry
Posted By: Yondering Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19

Not if he's going from a 243 to a 6.5, unless that was a typo?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19

LMAO.... Good catch - I didn't even see that.... smile
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by Yondering

Not if he's going from a 243 to a 6.5, unless that was a typo?

Typo on my part, meant the 6 Creedmoor, but had 6.5 on the brain as that's what I've reloading for the past few days.

Anyway, just disregard the question. It seems the typos bring out the smartazzes, who otherwise wouldn't have much to contribute.
If you look at the cartridge dimensions for a bit you'll see the conversion would require some setback of the barrel to clean out the longer 243 Winchester chamber. I'm sure Redneck can elaborate on this.
Bottom line: this is the Campfire. Ask a dumb question and you'll get dumb answers, typo or not. Deal with it. Mathman's last reply confirms that such a conversion is way more than a mere re-chamber, and will end up costing a significant percentage of what you already have in the rifle. And then what'll you have- a gun that buys you not much more than what you're starting out with.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Rechambering Question - 10/31/19

it can be done
Squirt a 6.5 bullet through a 6mm bore: really really high pressure and velocity off the charts probably...
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Rechambering Question - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Squirt a 6.5 bullet through a 6mm bore: really really high pressure and velocity off the charts probably...

we squirt a 30-06 round down a 6.5 jap barreled action after we rechambered it, it swagged the 30 cal bullet down, did not even blow the action up, and yes we were trying to blow it up.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rechambering Question - 11/01/19
Impressive. But it only proves that particular rifle could withstand a single incident of crazy high pressure. Repeat it on demand?
Impressive. But it only proves that particular rifle could withstand a single incident of crazy high pressure. Repeat it on demand?

we were blowing it up for hunter saftey class, we switched to a 7x57 mauser, chambered that to 30-06, we had class prop
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rechambering Question - 11/01/19
Did that one hold together? I would've fired it remotely with a video feed, after simply packing some mud in the muzzle of a standard chambered rifle that was destined for the scrap heap anyway.

Stuff like that really impresses kids. I remember back in my first gun safety class the instructor laid a .30-06 cartridge on a hot plate covered by a big cardboard box. When it cooked off the shrapnel failed to penetrate the walls of the box. Good thing, as we were all crowded around it to watch. Good times.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Rechambering Question - 11/01/19
You could totally clean up the chamber with a 6mm-284 requiring no setback. Just saying..... but it might be a single shot....
Did that one hold together? I would've fired it remotely with a video feed, after simply packing some mud in the muzzle of a standard chambered rifle that was destined for the scrap heap anyway.

Stuff like that really impresses kids. I remember back in my first gun safety class the instructor laid a .30-06 cartridge on a hot plate covered by a big cardboard box. When it cooked off the shrapnel failed to penetrate the walls of the box. Good thing, as we were all crowded around it to watch. Good times.

we didn't do that in front of the kids, just a prop to show them what could happen with a obstructed bore or wrong ammo. the Mauser did not stand up like the 6.5 jap action did they are tough little buggers, the Mauser blew at the front of the bolt, sent the extractor to who knows where.
Originally Posted by Azshooter
You could totally clean up the chamber with a 6mm-284 requiring no setback. Just saying..... but it might be a single shot....

I rechambered a 700 ADL in 243 to 6-284. It feeds from the mag well loaded with Nosler 95 gr bt.
© 24hourcampfire