Home
Posted By: Ovt84 SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
Can anyone recommend a shotgun gunsmith who can tighten up the action on a shotgun that I gave my son. It belonged to my father who acquired it in the 1950's. It is probably a liberated WW II 16 gauge SXS that is well made and appears to be Spanish. My son loves that shotgun because it fits him very well and he has killed lots of pheasants with it. The action is getting loose and the problem appears to be that the hinge pin is worn. Thanks for help, Fred
Posted By: battue Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
If it is of Spanish origin, then Lion Country Supply may be able to point the way. They have contacts with Smiths who work on Aya, Arrieta, Grulla, etc.

http://www.doubleshotguns.com
Posted By: EdM Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
Try Kirk Merrington. The fix will likely be more than what the finished product is worth but sentiment rightly tosses cost.
Posted By: mudhen Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
Jim Kobe (jkob here on the campfire) has worked on a couple of double shotguns for me and his work has been excellent.
Not a big job at all. Remove old barrel pivot pin, ream oversized, make new pin (oversized) and reinstall.
Posted By: battue Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
Could be hinge pin, but good chance it will be combined with a locking lug. The fitting of which isn’t all that easy, along with knowing where to get the correct one. Top lever spring could also be weak.

They all contribute to a solid closing, and when inside it is best to replace all three
The old Spanish guns were known for being made with soft metal.
Posted By: Reba Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/07/19
OK, if I knew where you were located I might be able to help
Bill Schwarz
Hes a vintage gunsmith that's the equal to Turnbull except about 1/3 the price.

706-276-7668

East Ellijay, GA.

Hes refurbished/rebuilt dozens of vintage guns for me and my friends. His workmanship is flawless.
Cole Haugh
Posted By: Ovt84 Re: SXS Shotgun Gunsmith Needed - 11/08/19
Thanks for all of the help. I will follow up on the recommendations. Right now the shotgun is in WY and I am in NC. Fred
© 24hourcampfire