Home
I have a Ruger stainless rifle that I'd like to DuraBlue, Cerakote or Gun Kote - whichever one that is closest to traditional matte bluing in appearance. The rifle won't be used hard, so I'm less concerned with the durability of the finish than the appearance - I want it to look as though it had been blued. I seem to recall that some firm somewhere actually blues stainless guns, so I guess I'd consider that too. After I sort out which finish to go with, I need to find a reputable firm to apply it and I don't mind spending what a good job costs.

Of course, life would've been much easier if I had bought the used blue/walnut gun instead of the stainless/synthetic one, but I didn't know at the time that I would quickly tire of stainless/synthetic, but I did. Apparently I'm a traditionalist at heart. I'll replace the tupperware stock with walnut after I get the metal refinished.

Thanks for your thoughts.
https://fordsguns.com/
Im pretty happy with midnight blue cerakote.
Durablue, if applied properly.
Cerakote wise -

I’m just ordered some SOCOM blue, midnight blue, and graphite black so I can mix them and see if I can match the one I’m doing for a guy right now.

I’ll paint them straight up and see what I get - I’m not sure if pictures will do things justice but I’ll take some.
Originally Posted by Kp321
Durablue, if applied properly.

I airbrushed on the DuraBlue matte Blue/black last weekend. I should have added some reducer and/or practiced with the airbrush some more first; got some spatters. I can't see any blue at all in it, but the texture is nice where there aren't spatters. I did another rifle years ago that came out very nice; I think it was DuraCoat "Gun Blue" and the color is dark blue, but looks like paint.

I'm thinking seriously about sending the rifle metal out to some experienced professional for CeraKote since I think it doesn't need the long curing time that DuraCoat does. I probably would have done that already but I need the rifle for deer season which starts next Monday.
Sell tha dang thing and get what you want instead of throwing good money after bad.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sell tha dang thing and get what you want instead of throwing good money after bad.

Your counsel is wise, but I just can't keep from fooling around with customizing it. Haven't mentioned the custom walnut mannlicher stock that's down the road. wink
60% gloss black, 40% midnight blue, light coat of clear.
Light angles on various surfaces dont do it complete justice on its entire evenness and shade of coat in this picture.
Make sure you get it done by a certified cerracoat guy.
(Do your homework on guys doing cerracoat.)
And not bubba subsituting materials and steps and telling ya its all good.....
If you have a guy with a excellent reputation and have seen examples of his work 1st hand i.e. friends who have had it done to their guns and aint had issue 1 with it.
Then that is the guy to roll with.
2 outfits here in the clarksville /ft cambell area that got their schitt straight.

All the others around here are like throwing the dice.
I would pay more for a certified cerracoat guy with a solid record of excellent work, than thinking "man im saving 50 or 75 bucks with fly by night bubba".

[Linked Image]
Carried one to the place that renegade50 used, I am hoping that my project turns out that nice
Got a swatch of Midnight blue coming in the mail and plan to send the rifle to Mr. Fosnaugh for the application based on all the favorable comments I've read.
© 24hourcampfire