Home
Posted By: mod7rem Blackening stainless steel?? - 01/07/20
Is it possible to blacken stainless steel?
I have a rem bolt body that is fluted and I’d like to blacken it, then buff off the body leaving the flutes blackened. Thanks.
QPQ
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Is it possible to blacken stainless steel?
I have a rem bolt body that is fluted and I’d like to blacken it, then buff off the body leaving the flutes blackened. Thanks.

Have it coated, then just sand off the body leaving the flutes black.. Easy-peasy..
Thanks guys.
I don't think Remington makes SS bolts.
Redneck - you mean cerakote ?
The art supply houses have a blackening finish for stainless steel, applies just like cold blue. Even Rustoleum would work.
Originally Posted by Tejano
The art supply houses have a blackening finish for stainless steel, applies just like cold blue. Even Rustoleum would work.

Thank you, I’ll check that out.
Posted By: smy1 Re: Blackening stainless steel?? - 01/15/20
Re-read Butch Lambert's post. Rem bolts are two piece. The Handle is stainless, but the body (shaft) and lugs are chrome-moly. That's why the lugs are blued. Heat the bolt with wife's hairdryer and cold blue the flutes.
Brownell's sells a spray / bake-on finish called Cerama-Coat. Apply it to the entire bolt according to directions (3 light spray coats and bake in a 300 degree oven) then use a fine grit belt sander to expose the metal on the surface of the bolt.
Jerry
Posted By: JeffG Re: Blackening stainless steel?? - 01/23/20
Has anyone tried EPI SS-370 to blacken stainless barrels?
© 24hourcampfire