Home
Posted By: RevMike Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Gentlemen:

I'm thinking of having a beast of a barrel turned down to something like a No. 1 or FWT contour. The barrel channel of the stock (B&C Carbelite), however, is for the current contour. I'd need to fill it in order for the gap to not be huge. Any suggestions as to a filler that is also very lightweight? - lightweight being the key.

Thanks

RM
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Get a section of small diameter bicycle tube and stretch it over the entire barrel. Coat it very well with release agent, I use paste wax.

Fill the channel with epoxy. As far as adding weight, there's no free lunch. The filler will add some weight. Adding bubbles will help.

Paul
Posted By: RAN Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
The standard filler is liquid epoxy mixed with phenolic microballoons to a putty consistency. You tape the barrel with plastic tape until you get the thickness you want for the final gap and coat with release agent. Sand the barrel channel to rough up the surface and apply tape to control the final spread of the putty towards the action. Apply a bead of putty down the middle of the channel and seat the barreled action in the stock with the screws tight. The putty should be extruded above the stock top edges along the barrel. Remove the excess when it begins to set, but leave it a little high so it can be sanded level and smooth after the barrel is removed. This filler is very light, easy to sand and takes paint very well.

RAN
Posted By: mistem Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Tag
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Originally Posted by RAN
The standard filler is liquid epoxy mixed with phenolic microballoons to a putty consistency. You tape the barrel with plastic tape until you get the thickness you want for the final gap and coat with release agent. Sand the barrel channel to rough up the surface and apply tape to control the final spread of the putty towards the action. Apply a bead of putty down the middle of the channel and seat the barreled action in the stock with the screws tight. The putty should be extruded above the stock top edges along the barrel. Remove the excess when it begins to set, but leave it a little high so it can be sanded level and smooth after the barrel is removed. This filler is very light, easy to sand and takes paint very well.

RAN

This is what I've done. Be careful with the microballoons. They'll get away from you before you get them mixed up. LOL.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
You don't want to accidentally inhale any microballoons either!

[Linked Image]

This 20 mil plumbing tape works good for creating the gap as long as you grease it up good!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Alternatively light weight auto body filler, see what your local auto parts store have or shop online. "Light weight" is a relative term so be inquisitive.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
Originally Posted by RevMike
Gentlemen:

I'm thinking of having a beast of a barrel turned down to something like a No. 1 or FWT contour. The barrel channel of the stock (B&C Carbelite), however, is for the current contour. I'd need to fill it in order for the gap to not be huge. Any suggestions as to a filler that is also very lightweight? - lightweight being the key.

Thanks

RM

And what's gonna be the actual weight difference between "very lightweight - lightweight being the key" and not lightweight ? I really think a realty check is order.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/08/20
The loss of metal from the contour should offset the filler
Posted By: RevMike Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/09/20
Originally Posted by Craigster
I really think a realty check is order.

Great idea! 😁 And what do you suggest?

RM
Posted By: Craigster Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/09/20
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Craigster
I really think a realty check is order.

Great idea! 😁 And what do you suggest?

RM

Start calculating and get back to us .
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/09/20
Silicone
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Here are the specs I sent to the gunsmith earlier in the week when I asked him about turning down the barrel and lightening things up a bit:

Bare rifle: 7lb 15.7oz
Barreled action: 6lb 1.3oz
Stock: 1lb 14.4 oz

The barrel contour is:
Shank: 1.201"
4" from face: .890"
8" from face: .8295"
12" from face: .7835"
16" from face: .7370"
20" from face: .7185"
24" from face: .6545" (muzzle)

I plan to use an old VX-ii 3-9x40 in Weaver bases/rings since the entire setup weighs a tad under 15 ounces, but that still puts the entire rifle at 9 pounds, sans cartridges and sling - not exactly what I want to be toting in a 7x57. What I hope to do is get things trimmed to the 8 or so pound range (not a fly-weight: I know that isn't possible with a M1909 Argentine Mauser action). That's why I'm looking for a lightweight filler as well as some other things to trim.

Thanks again.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/09/20
Is it possible to use a lighter stock?

Is it a wood stock or composite?

If you reduce the barrel length to 22" you'll get rid of 3oz (+/-).
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Is it possible to use a lighter stock?

Is it a wood stock or composite?

Right now it's in a B&C Carbelite - about three ounces heavier than a McMillan Edge, according to McMillan's specs. As Craigster mentioned, I could save the difference by simply lopping off a couple inches of barrel. I think I'm going to see what it finishes at with 24 inches, then consider 22 if it doesn't come in close to 8 pounds all up.
A good thread on weight reduction:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/9261000652?r=1551001652#1551001652
Ironically the fellow who started that thread is the fellow whose going to be doing the work.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/14/20
I have mixed cork saw dust and micro balloons and it worked well. I think it helped to reduce vibration and improved accuracy over the previously floated barrel.

Save some epoxy only to go on the exposed surfaces but after painting the exposed cork was not obvious.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Barrel Gap Filler - 01/14/20
Now I've heard of corking a bat but... smile
© 24hourcampfire