Home
Posted By: bgbuck153 What freebore for 28 nosler? - 01/29/20
I’m having my smith put together (Redo) a 28 nosler and will be using a Stiller predator with wyatts box with a proof 8.25 twist barrel at 26”. What freebore should I go with? I’ll be running the 195 Berger’s.
The answer = that depends

You have to do some checks to see how far out you will seat the bullet with that configuration.

First check is always the Magazine fit... look at where the base of the bullet is if the round fits in the mag with .02 to .04” clearance... if it’s NO where near the neck shoulder junction... then the bullets will always be below there and you can forget using that as where to set your freebore / throat.

IF you want to chase the lands a bit, seat the bullet out further as the lands start eating away, then you move here back close to .8 so you can seat shallower as it wears away.

So... if your smith uses a “min freebore” reamer like I do, and then uses a “uni-throater” to cut the throat to depth for your specific setup... just given him the bullets seated at the depth you want to clear you box, and or chase the lands a bit.

I don’t do that for Field guns typically, but guys who want the reach out and touch something, or PRS rifles.,... it makes sense. Otherwise I go min. SAAMI spec reamers, with standard freebore, but I do talk with the reamer maker first... Dave or the JGS guys.
This guy built mine.

He doesn’t usually disclose his reamer dimensions, but you can ask him.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/28-nosler-195-berger-re33-testing.159270/
Spot shooter. I have a wyatts box installed so no issues on OAL.

Kingston, what’s your OAL?
COAL= 3.77” with 195 EOL
[align:right][/align]Your gonna need about .325 to get the boatail bearing surface junction at or above the neck shoulder junction on your brass with a 195.
© 24hourcampfire