Home
Need three or four of these but can't find any reasonably priced or deliver in a reasonable time.
Any one know where they may be found?
The pic is from Pacific Tool and Gauge.

shim

Thanks!

geo

Hardware store 1/4" washers will work in a pinch. Some of the Chinese made ones are as thin as the factory shims.
I make pillars out of aluminum or steel tubing. Pretty easy to do. A couple of beer cans would make a lot of shims.
I've done it with a washer out of my bolt bin. Found the right thickness out of many I checked.
Yes, Best solution is to fabricate your own.
+1 fabricate your own, nothing complicated about those shims.
I just use a 1/4" stainless steel flat washer on mine.I was working on a rifle just the other day.I could tell my action was in a bind when I'd tighten the stock down.Backed off and the bind was relieved.Added a 1/4 flat washer between the wood stock and bottom metal,no more bind.
Thanks all. Off to the hardware store I go!

g
Jury rigged a spacer,
bedded my bottom metal.

Great fit, never going to have to deal with a spacer.
Blue painters tape is your friend.
Cheap feeler gauges off Amazon ...

In a pinch use the sides of a pop can

Just remember that if you shim the back or front that the rings are going to bind before they get tight, so going farmer tight with your rings can damage the scope.
There are ways to fix that so the scope doesn’t hurt the scope.... other than lapping. But don’t just crank down an things and dent a expensive scope.
The OP isn't talking about shimming his scope, but the bottom metal, as in floorplate.
I just skim bed the area.... Looks better, IMHO..

thanks Paul... I missed that. In that case I agree with Redneck... take off the edges, and bed it with the rifle upright so it doesn’t sink into the bedding (if it were upside down)....

If you are worried about over tightening it use some pins in the wood to offset it so you can’t over tighten it easily.
Knead It epoxy putty
Got a couple of 1/4" brass flat washers. Work like a champ!

Thanks again!

g
© 24hourcampfire