Home
Posted By: fe1 AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/03/20
Will AccraGlass soften with heat?
I need to remove a swivel stud ferrule bedded with AccraGlass and wondering if it will soften with heat to drive it out?
Posted By: RAN Re: AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/03/20
Put a hot soldering iron on the swivel and warm it up nice and hot. It should unscrew easily.

RAN
Posted By: fe1 Re: AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by RAN
Put a hot soldering iron on the swivel and warm it up nice and hot. It should unscrew easily.

RAN

Actually its the ferrule that’s recessed in the barrel channel I need to remove and not sure if it’s threaded or press fit.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/03/20
Well, heat will certainly soften epoxy. The question is will the heat sufficient to soften your epoxy also be sufficient to either scorch the wood or effect the surrounding finish. I would try the soldering iron tip first, very judiciously while watching for untoward things happening.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well, heat will certainly soften epoxy. The question is will the heat sufficient to soften your epoxy also be sufficient to either scorch the wood or effect the surrounding finish. I would try the soldering iron tip first, very judiciously while watching for untoward things happening.

What he said...
When removing some kind of linseed oil finish from a military stock.

I soaked the stock in a large trash bag of methanol,the stock was bedded with the acraglass.

It is still in the stock but it made it soft like rubber but did it with out hurting the wood.

It can be bought at the lumber yard.

This was soaked overnight.
Posted By: fe1 Re: AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/03/20
Thanks guys I used a soldering iron and it came right out.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: AccraGlass heat sensitive? - 02/04/20
Yay!!
When I want to heat something like that without damaging the wood around it, I make a close-fitting insert from copper, either a slip fit or threaded, long enough to apply a flame from a Propane torch without getting close enough to scorch the wood. The copper conducts the heat very rapidly. Ditto for making heat sinks when welding bolt handles.
Jerry
© 24hourcampfire