Home
Posted By: FOsteology Hardened Torx Screw Heads - 03/29/20
Snapped a couple screws while mounting scopes. Who currently is making hardened torx or hex screw heads for rings and bases that's worth a sheit?

Obliged.
I have always used either brownells or leupold. I have the assortment set from both.I have never snapped one on the install. Only time I ever have broke a scope ring or base screw was taking one out. And then only ones that I had no clue about how they were installed. If you have a proper torque wrench and decent bits there is no reason you should be breaking screws. Nice clean threads proper amount of torque and you should no troubles.
I have sets of both of those mentioned and they are great to have around.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Hardened Torx Screw Heads - 03/29/20
I run a thread cutter into all the screw holes to clean them up. This helps make it easier to install. I had problems with the cheap big box store Torx wrenches, went to a better set and have only broken the smallest one now.
Good Lord, how hard are you twisting those screws anyway, and why? I'm no fan of grade 1 screws but never had a need for grade 5 or 7 for ,ounting a scope.
As I recollect, all socket head cap screw are high tensile. So I assume, the torks screw,being of the same fashion would be also..A quick look in the McMaster Carr catalog will tell you.

How many, what size,and what length do you need ? I have a box from Brownells. I can send you a few I believe
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have sets of both of those mentioned and they are great to have around.

I think everyone should have those sets of screws. They are great to have for sure. The op's screws were in talley lightweights. The suggested torque rating for those is 20" pounds, according to Talley. However, did Talley ever use aluminum screws in their lightweights for the top ring screws?
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Snapped a couple screws while mounting scopes. Who currently is making hardened torx or hex screw heads for rings and bases that's worth a sheit?

Obliged.

Leupold and Brownells. I think everyone here should have at least one set handy... I know I use mine.
Posted By: ned Re: Hardened Torx Screw Heads - 04/01/20
be hard to snap on using recommended torque. honestly 20# of torque seems way light to me, although I'm sure manufactures know way more that I do about it, so I tend to tighten them a little more.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Hardened Torx Screw Heads - 04/02/20
Sounds like they made them too hard
Originally Posted by gemby58
Sounds like they made them too hard

Agreed.

Fostology,

If they stripped, and you were using a good wrench, then they were soft.
If they snapped, they were probably hard.

Using a torque wrench?
If you are like your avatar, you might need one! grin
© 24hourcampfire