Home
Posted By: Hoarsecock Re-barrel question - 04/06/20
Hi guys
I have a Brno 21h and I really love the rifle.
I'd like to have a new barrel installed on it in the near future.
It has the flip-up leaf rear sights, barrel band etc.

My question is would it be possible for a gunsmith to take the old front sight off of the old barrel and put it back on to the new barrel?
I assume that because the rear sight is just a dovetail putting it on a new barrel would not be a problem?
The barrel band would need to be replaced with a new one I think but I'm ok with that.

I'd just like to keep the iron sights as original as possible.

Thanks
Posted By: Jkob Re: Re-barrel question - 04/07/20
It would be a crap shoot on whether the front band would be compatible diameter-wise with the new barrel.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Re-barrel question - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by Hoarsecock
Hi guys
I have a Brno 21h and I really love the rifle.
I'd like to have a new barrel installed on it in the near future.
It has the flip-up leaf rear sights, barrel band etc.

My question is would it be possible for a gunsmith to take the old front sight off of the old barrel and put it back on to the new barrel?
I assume that because the rear sight is just a dovetail putting it on a new barrel would not be a problem?
The barrel band would need to be replaced with a new one I think but I'm ok with that.

I'd just like to keep the iron sights as original as possible.

Thanks

Jkob, Jim Kobe, would be a great smith for your project. Great work and quick turn around.
Posted By: greydog Re: Re-barrel question - 04/07/20
Are those rear sights not dovetailed into a sleeve which is soldered onto the barrel? In the past, we either installed the sleeve onto the new barrel or simply turned the new barrel to duplicate the original; sight base and all. It has been many years since I re-barrelled one of these and I could be mis-remembering. GD
Posted By: z1r Re: Re-barrel question - 04/07/20
As long as the original barrel contour was replicated, yes, you can reuse the original sights and barrel band. Have done it several times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Hoarsecock Re: Re-barrel question - 04/15/20
Thanks for the replies gents.
I plan on using a barrel of the same contour.
So it sounds like this would not be hard to do at all.
Thanks again
© 24hourcampfire