Home
I have a couple scopes that are really hard to turn the power ring. Off the gun with two hands its not too hard but once they are mounted they are tough, especially when you can only get your fingers on the ring. One was a new Burris and the other is a used Leupold that has been in the box for a while. Any lube??
Send the leupold in and have it fixed for free. Every one I have had like that have had to be rebuilt.
Posted By: RAN Re: Scope power ring hard to turn - 04/12/20
Burris has a lifetime warranty as well. If they can't fix it they will send you a new scope. Send it in...

RAN
Have you tried clamping the rear ring in a different spot on the tube?
I'd send them both back, if they are that hard to turn..
Posted By: GF1 Re: Scope power ring hard to turn - 04/12/20
First I would check to see if the ring screws were over torqued - with a wrench. No need for much over 15 in/#, and 20 is plenty. Next, if still hard to turn, move the scope around a bit to see if that matters (or simply remove the scopes and see if the trouble is still there).
Both of these scopes were not even mounted. I know they both have good guarantees and will end up sending them back. Just figure they should be good without the returns.

Thanks
I sent a VXI back to Leupold for that same problem. When I got it back it wasn't any better. It's still stiff and seems to get worse in cold weather.
So...They turn easier when unmounted, but are harder to turn when in rings? Are the rings/mounts aligned properly?
No, I never mounted them. The Burris was hard before mounting and no different when mounted. That was a scope for my nephew and I thought it would loosen up, but it didn't. The Leupold still isn't mounted. It is an older Vari X III. The ring actually squeaks a bit when I turn it, like the o-ring is dry. I will send them both back as advised.
© 24hourcampfire