Home
Posted By: 1Akshooter Ladder sight users? - 08/11/20
If any of you use a ladder sight on your lever gun I am interested in hearing your thoughts on how far you can hit a 12 inch target and what load you are using to do it. For now I will be using a receiver/peep on my Mod. 71 Ackley Improved and the ladder sight is appealing to me.

History has shown over the last 55 years that almost all of the Alaskan critters I have shot have been under 200 yards. But, I believe the .348 Improved and a 250 grain bonded bullet from Alaska Bullet Works on top of a healthy charge of H4350 is a realistic 300 yard moose load if the shooter does their part.

Besides, the ladder sight has a cool factor to my eyes. I see Smith and Skinner Sights make ladder sights. A easily adjustable receiver/peep sight would probably work to 300 yards, I will look for one, maybe Lyman?

I seem to be able to see better in low light with a wide V rear sight then I do with a receiver/peep sight, even if I just use the aperture with out an insert.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Ladder sight users? - 08/12/20
With the right front sight there is no need for a ladder sight to shoot to 300 yards. A factory rear sight and elevator for a model 71 will be all you should need.
© 24hourcampfire