Home
Any firsthand, comparative reports on deer-sized game? I've shot the FTX at paper, never the TSX.
Have you tried looking at terminal ballistics research on the internet?

I have used the 160 FTX on deer/ elk in the 300 savage. I have complete confidence in that bullet. Never used the other.
Yup. That's why I asked for firsthand experience. I.e., when those ballistics actually collide with an animal.
Was hoping someone would reply about the Barnes. Bought a bunch of these a couple of years ago but have not loaded any yet.
Posted By: efw Re: 30-30 150 TSX vs. 160 FTX - 12/25/20
Don’t know if you saw this thread I started or not but it holds reports on half your question:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/15465206/160-ftx-in-30-30#Post15465206

I’ve no experience but would think the FTX, which is going to be softer, would be a slam dunk on deer.

Bigger game like bear or elk maybe a different story?

I’ve got a box of ETips I’m planning to load for bear over bait. Otherwise I’ll use up my old 150 Gr CNC RN/FP stock.
I was looking for Sierra GameKing 170 grain bullets for my Marlin 336Y, and came across two boxes of the Hornady FTX 160 grain. I have those on the way, and proven load data would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I was looking for Sierra GameKing 170 grain bullets for my Marlin 336Y, and came across two boxes of the Hornady FTX 160 grain. I have those on the way, and proven load data would be appreciated.

I have success with Hodgdon "CFE223" and "LVR" powder. The CFE edged out LVR in accuracy. I'm sure any of the standard as there so many powders often used in the 30-30 would provide the accuracy you desire yet likely "LVR" will be the fastest.
Thanks. I have been using IMR 4320, and have a fair amount, but it’s now discontinued.
Posted By: EdM Re: 30-30 150 TSX vs. 160 FTX - 02/15/21
I'll be taking my recently acquired Savage M170 30-30 hog hunting in a few weeks loaded with the Barnes bullet over Leverevolution. I am waiting for a scope base to arrive to dial it in.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: 30-30 150 TSX vs. 160 FTX - 02/17/21
I’ve killed a couple deer with the Barnes 150gr TSX.

That zonking big HP opens fast and let’s the air out good.

Unless your rifle won’t shot them, I can’t think of a reason not to use the Barnes.

They sure do make it through brush better, as well. They don’t frag and lose mass/shape the way a cup & core can.
© 24hourcampfire