Home
Posted By: ctw 338 hornady flat point bullets - 02/04/21
I know these are discontinued and harder to find what would I expect to pay per box?
Thanks Chris
All over the map. At gun shows I’ve picked up discontinued bullets at less than 1/2 retail. That’s where I’d start looking.
I have also seen them sell for $100/100. I've never been able to bring myself to buy any. I would use them in my Sako 338 Magnum and reduced loads. Haven't found much use for a full house 338 Magnum in Tennessee.
Take care,
Rick
39 grains of 3031 is not running real fast but under that bullet will stack them.
It will penetrate plumb through a Tennessee deer too.
Guess there were not enough 33 Winchester shooters to bother running that bullet.
You can keep trying Buffalo Arms for the Hornady and their own version.
Maybe go to the gummy tips as an alternative.
I have a similar issue with bullets for my 375 Win, in particular the '375 Hornady 220 grain bullets'. I did find some Hornady bullets 220 grain at a gun show though. I also have Sierra 200 grain and Barnes 255 grain FN SP.

Also, I have molds that will work and I suspect that will be the bullets of choice for the bulk of my shooting. I'll try the Sierras and the Barnes - Barnes are sort of spendy, but if they shoot well...

Hornady's elimination of bullets is disturbing to me as I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets which are 'going going gone". I'm replacing them with bullets from other manufacturers. (Don't get me started on bean counters as I worked for "Sperry Computers" - shut down by stupid choices bean counters made and I worked for Westinghouse - also shut down by stupid mistakes by bean counters.)

I just hope the bean counters get out of the control seat of Hornady!

Wish you luck in finding bullets for your 33.
Get the Hawk 200gr or 250gr.FP. They are hammers!
Good idea on gun show bullets & also small older gun shops.

Recently found some Hornady FPs to add to my supply. This thread is a year old, but my 1886 rifles are older.
If you are looking to pay more for standard bullets-pointed not FP-consider Hawk for hunting bullets. A box of 200 gr FP for the 33 WCF is about $45-50 bullet count.
Their bullets are ideal for hunting: used a 348 AI on a moose with Hawk 270 gr: One shot-one moose.
The velocity of 33 bullets is about 2100-2250 FPS sticking to factory specs. Perfect for the jacketed Hawk bullets and expansion.The 200 gr is perfect.

For those who also look for brass- Starline or reformed 40-65 cases are the way to go. Eliminates a step and the cases last if you anneal the first 1/2 inch.
© 24hourcampfire