Home
Posted By: tmitch Climbing Lyman - 06/07/21
For those lucky enough to have one mounted on their vintage lever gun, add a few bucks to its value.

Vintage Lyman 21

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: frank500 Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/08/21
Holy buckets that went for crazy money!!!
I’ve got a lyman 38 on a pre war model 64. Might be worth more than the rifle
Posted By: tmitch Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/08/21
I love those sights, my fathers 64 carbine is equipped with one as was his brothers 141 Remington. I have one on my 1895 and wouldn’t mind finding one to mount on a 64 carbine to replicate my fathers, but that sight went for almost what I paid for the carbine!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/08/21
Got one on my 1886 33 WCF. Factory installed no less.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/09/21
Thats crazy money,unless you had a deluxe rifle with holes for one !!!! crazy I have several 21 and 38 on winchester and marlin rifles, even have a non cataloged version on a savage 1899,now that one could be worth a bit! smile

[Linked Image from pbase.com]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/09/21
Poor picture but my fathers 64 and his brothers 141 with Lyman 21s circa 1940 (based on my fathers uniform) They were hell on deer!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Windknot Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/09/21
Great pic Tmitch! I hunt with a 64 & Williams. I need to look into a Climbing Lyman just make me fe right!
Good luck finding a 21 (or 38) nowadays unless you have deep pockets! If anything I'd get rid of that aluminium Williams and put a correct vintage Lyman 66 or 56 on your M64. I put a 56 on my early carbine and a 66 on my late manufacture rifle. If I ever find a decently priced Climbing Lyman though........

My fathers 64 carbine at the top.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/09/21
Some company still makes these. The reproduction doesn't have the flip up aperture, though. I gave a thought about putting one in my M71, but opted for the FastFire mount instead since I didn't want to have it drilled.

Just looked and buffalo arms seems to have it in stock.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/21-type-long-sight-blued-ptclongb.html
So thats a Lyman 66 on your rifle on the bottom? Has it been flawless?
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Some company still makes these. The reproduction doesn't have the flip up aperture, though. I gave a thought about putting one in my M71, but opted for the FastFire mount instead since I didn't want to have it drilled.

Just looked and buffalo arms seems to have it in stock.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/21-type-long-sight-blued-ptclongb.html

Don't blame you, I'd have a hard time D&T an original rifle unless it was an original vintage sight. Even then, the only reason I'd do it is to replicate my fathers rifle (my brother inherited his). For a 71 I'd use the holes provided for a Lyman 56, or as you did for the FF. No harm no foul there. However I would mount one of those Providence Tool Pattern 21 sights on a Browning reproduction Winchester. I wish the windage was more like the original though.

Originally Posted by Windknot
So thats a Lyman 66 on your rifle on the bottom? Has it been flawless?

Yes, it's a 66a. If by flawless you mean does it work as I expect? Yes it does but I'm a "set and forget" kind of user and don't dial it for different ranges.
Me too, thats a major + to iron sights. Zeroed for life!
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Climbing Lyman - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by frank500
Holy buckets that went for crazy money!!!
I’ve got a lyman 38 on a pre war model 64. Might be worth more than the rifle

No, if you wanted/needed one, that was a very fair price.
© 24hourcampfire