Home
.357 mag on elk

I harvested this Bull on Monday, October 11, 2021. I used a Rossi Model 92 .357 Magnum with Barnes VORTX 140 Grain Bullet. Took just one shot at 65 yards. Bullet entered right side and exited on left side. It can be done despite what other's say. Too many experts out there these days.
Agreed - too many "experts" with too little real world experience.
Nice rifle and elk Duane, and welcome to the fire.
Put a hole in them in the right place and they die.
Very nice, and great to see. How are you liking your Rosi 92 overall? I'd guess even more after this.
Shot placement is everything. I agree. Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy using open sights and handy carbines. To me simplicity is where its at. Granted there are limitations but I never have to worry if my scope loses its zero after a hard knock, etc.

I have 36 years of experience hunting deer and elk with rifle and bow (my preferred weapon is a American Semi long bow) and 29 years of guiding (im retired now)....anyway, 90% of rifle shots I seen taken are 150 yards or less with rifle and 20 yards with bow.

With actual hunting yardages being where they are at, you do not need the fancy scoped rifles all the darn time. If a person is patient and disciplined with their shot selection they can get it done with open sights.

Anyway just my two cents from a guy who loves hunting. Thank you.
I like the Rossi so far. Very smooth action and accurate. I never used the copper bullets (Barnes VORTX) before. They grouped well at 50 and 100 yards.

Open sights can be accurate, you just have to know how to use them. I sight all my rifles with open sights to where the bullet will impact just above the bead using a 6 o`clock hold. Makes it manageable. My dad taught me this 40 some years ago. In his time that is all they used and they got it done all the time.
Originally Posted by Duane73
I like the Rossi so far. Very smooth action and accurate. I never used the copper bullets (Barnes VORTX) before. They grouped well at 50 and 100 yards.

Open sights can be accurate, you just have to know how to use them. I sight all my rifles with open sights to where the bullet will impact just above the bead using a 6 o`clock hold. Makes it manageable. My dad taught me this 40 some years ago. In his time that is all they used and they got it done all the time.

Pretty much same here, the older I get the more I've gotten away from scopes. I've had too many scope failures to really trust them in the field. Most of my rifles carry peep sights now. Use the same 6 o' clock hold just under the target as you so I can still see what I'm shooting at. I've found running a smaller 1/16" white bead front sight helps me enormously with target aquisition, too.
Originally Posted by zcm82

Pretty much same here, the older I get the more I've gotten away from scopes. I've had too many scope failures to really trust them in the field. Most of my rifles carry peep sights now. Use the same 6 o' clock hold just under the target as you so I can still see what I'm shooting at. I've found running a smaller 1/16" white bead front sight helps me enormously with target aquisition, too.

The problem is that the older I get the harder it is for me to use open sights beyond 50 yards smile
.357 mag on elk

I harvested this Bull on Monday, October 11, 2021. I used a Rossi Model 92 .357 Magnum with Barnes VORTX 140 Grain Bullet. Took just one shot at 65 yards. Bullet entered right side and exited on left side. It can be done despite what other's say. Too many experts out there these days.

I guess this answers any question I might have in my mind about my .358 Win BLR on timber elk
.357 mag on elk

Is there a pic there? I don't see one. Trying to figure out if it is just me

I agree, My 1894 has peep sights on it and I favor it over my scoped 336. Lever guns and peeps seem to just go together like peas and carrots.
Originally Posted by Termin8r

The problem is that the older I get the harder it is for me to use open sights beyond 50 yards smile

Rear peep sight helps a ton. My depth perception is garbage compared to what it used to be, changing from a rear notch to a peep makes a night and day difference because you're eliminating a focal point. I'm lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 with notch and blades, but with peeps I can keep them down between 1.5-2" Makes focusing on the target a lot faster too, without having to himhaw on the stock to get my eyes in focus on the sights.
Originally Posted by Termin8r

Rear peep sight helps a ton. My depth perception is garbage compared to what it used to be, changing from a rear notch to a peep makes a night and day difference because you're eliminating a focal point. I'm lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 with notch and blades, but with peeps I can keep them down between 1.5-2" Makes focusing on the target a lot faster too, without having to himhaw on the stock to get my eyes in focus on the sights.

Yea, Peep sight is the way to go for sure. And as mentioned above, they are a perfect match for lever guns for close quarter snap shots
Nice Elk and great shooting.
Nice work.,
Under perfect conditions you can harvest any animal in North America with a 22 long rifle. But we don't because conditions are not always perfect. Probably 1800 fps out of that rifle. Pretty good wallop at close range.
I have a legacy puma in 454 casull handy little rifle. Lots of power up close.
Good job,good hunting.

Great job Duane smile
That’s nice wood on your 92.

I've been shooting a Rossi 357 for a couple of years now. Had a lot of fun with the original sights but I really like the Skinner barrel mounted peep I replaced the factory sights with.

This should be Duane73's picture below....nice!

[Linked Image]
So which peep sight is everyone using? Need one for an 1894 45 Colt and I’ve been looking at the ranger point precision.
your gun has bettter wood than both my Rossi 357's. Good to see evidence like this on big game. I use mine on hogs which is the biggest game around me. I always cringe when folks call a 357 carbine only a 80 yard proposition.With a stout accurate load and appropriate sights( I use red dots), you can take game past 125 yards.
Congratulations very nice elk that will nourish you this winter. This makes me want a lever .357 all the more! wink
Great story, shot and picture, well played for sure.

I use a skinner winged peep on my marlin 1894 357 mag with a fiber optic front sight. My eyes arent with they used to be so now use glasses for distance, but I can shoot 5 shots in 2-3 inches at 100 all day from a rest.

The skinner is great once u get it sighted put kind of a pain to sight in. A William's is no way as sturdy or good looking but easy to sight in or adjust for different loads.

Be safe all.
Congratulations on the bull.
Your skill , experience and ability made it all work for you. The normal guy that would have been a lucky stunt shot. Not every one who hunts elk or just has an elk tag has any where your discipline to get it done. Mb
Nice story and great job on that bull! There is a lot of info out there comparing a 30-30 with a .357 out of a rifle. The longer barrel sure wakes up the 357 and 45 Colt. Putting it in the right spot, like you did, and they will do the job.

Regarding a peep sight on a Rossi 92. Skinner makes a bolt peep that replaces the saftey lever on top of the bolt. I have one on mine and it works well, although I did have to install a taller front sight. Mine is in 45 Colt and I shoot 300 gr Deep Curls at a bit over 1400 fps.
I’m running the peep in the safety too on my 92 and love it!
Great job! I'm a big fan of handgun lever rifles.
I call BS. Everyone knows you can't kill anything without a bullet without atleast a .800 BC!
grin
What you can (possible to) do. What amount of lost game is due to too small of cartridge. I'm of the opinion I'd like a larger cartridge myself. But everyone to their own.
I know you can kill a grizzly with a 9mm pistol, and you can kill a polar bear with a 22 long rifle, and I'm sure people can kill an elk with a 357. I know a guy that killed an elk with a 25-35.
But I've seen elk shot with a much larger cartridge in the heart and the elk went a long way, before tipping over. It's your elk license do what you want.
© 24hourcampfire