Home
Posted By: fosjam Bighorn Armory Question - 04/20/22
Anyone here have any experience with Big Horn Armory out of Cody, WY? I am currently in the process of deciding what to order and am going to put down a deposit here soon (unless I can find a nice used one, which is not easy to do). I like the idea of a 50 cal lever gun and the 500 S&W seems like a good option.
I think Frank500 is the man to ask about these. I believe he may have had a couple.
Posted By: crshelton Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/21/22
Certainly an interesting big bore rifle.
What game are you planning to hunt with it? In Africa or America?
Posted By: fosjam Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/21/22
Originally Posted by crshelton
Certainly an interesting big bore rifle.
What game are you planning to hunt with it? In Africa or America?

I’d love to hunt bear, boar, Buffalo, and potentially a safari at some point.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/21/22
I ordered one recently with the upgraded wood option. Was told to wait 12-14 months.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/22/22
Don't know about the 500 S&W as an African round, at least not for dangerous game. It may be a big cartridge for a handgun, but not for a rifle. It wouldn't meet the energy requirement in most countries for dangerous game at 2,100-2,400 FPE.
Posted By: jgkirk Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/23/22
I own the one in 460 S&W and got the upgraded stock it is a awesome lever gun. The 500 does not meet the required minimum for dangerous game in Africa. There .au. e a work around but in general I don't think it does you would need to ask your outfitter. I can easily hit 24 inch plate at 200 yards with open sights. Customer service is exceptional at Big Hirn Armory. I bought mine from Cabelas used and the stock fitment was off. They corrected this gree of charge and gave me a great price on the upgraded stock. Can't speak highly enough about their customer service.
Posted By: waterrat Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/24/22
I had a BHA for 5 years and sold it last fall with the idea of rebarrelling my 71 to 450 Alaskan. It was the 500 with upgraded wood and was a well made heavy duty piece of work. Tight as a drum and needed to be cycled with authority,overall fit was perfect and the Skinner sights are a dream. For plinking the 350gr Hornady is accurate and after about 400 rounds it was smoother and for yard duties I used the 500gr Hornady,,I killed 4 brown bears and the last one is pictured,,it was about midnite when the yard erupted and I raced out with the BHA, our yard lights illuminated our Karelian Bear Dogs reflective collars and I got up to about 30' and gave the big dark blob in between them a triple tap of 500's,,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: crshelton Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/24/22
Good Show!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/24/22
Originally Posted by crshelton
Good Show!

Seconded. That’s good stuff Waterrat!
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by Biebs
Don't know about the 500 S&W as an African round, at least not for dangerous game. It may be a big cartridge for a handgun, but not for a rifle. It wouldn't meet the energy requirement in most countries for dangerous game at 2,100-2,400 FPE.

At what distance is that? A 500 will easily surpass 2400fpe at the muzzle from a rifle.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 04/27/22
with some respect : maybe its time to use a single shot lever rifle like a Ruger #1 ? get a cartridge like 458 Win. mag ,458 Lott ,416 Rigby ? or my favorite a 375 H&H ? if your going to Africa these will get the job done on dangerous game . good luck ,Pete53
Posted By: Tradmark Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 06/05/22
500 will get the job done just fine. Works just fine in south africa. You can get 400gr to 2000fps
Posted By: Tradmark Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 06/05/22
Dont need to but you can
Posted By: crshelton Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 06/05/22
My Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 WCF did well on Cape Buff in Africa too with one 400 grain Woodie bullet through the heart at 2100 fps. Penetrated 40 inches and exited - no pretty bullet for pictures.
The .405 300 grain North Fork took out a Water Buff with one shot too.
IMHO, that rifle can handle any DG with the right bullets.
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Bighorn Armory Question - 06/17/22
If they made their .460 with a faster twist id be interested. What they currently offer seems like its meant to shoot those hotrod 200 grain bullets. Id like to have a .460 lever gun that can launch the bigger bullets with authority. When ruger bought marlin i emailed asking them if theyd pretty fughkin please make a .460 lever gun. Hell, they made a ruger #1 in .460. Cant tell me a single shot rifle would sell more, have greater appeal, than a lever action in the same caliber
© 24hourcampfire