Home
Posted By: CRS What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/03/22
Just picked up a new Marlin 1895 Trapper.

Have loaded a bunch of the 300gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips for my son's 45-70. Want to save those for his rifle.

I am looking for another bullet to load and call my own. cool Not going to go the cast bullet route. Do not need top of the line, but something that will work on deer if called upon.

What says everyone?

Have done a little looking but would like to hear from those who have BTDT.

Hornady InterLock 300-350gr FP or RN? or ?????
I load the 300 Hornady for my son’s 45-70 with H322 or I4895. It works well for deer.
I've had good results with the Hornady 350 grn FN using I-4198 on both deer and elk. I've only recovered one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Manny
I shot a decent size bear using a 350 gn soft point PMC ammo. I don't think it's available anymore.
I have taken 3 deer using both Federal & Winchester factory with 300gn bullet
and a coyote. Only bullet recovered was from the coyote, only because it hit a tree branch behind him and deflected into the ground. I just happen to see the bark peeled off of the pine branch and a small divit in the ground below it.
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I load the 300 Hornady for my son’s 45-70 with H322 or I4895. It works well for deer.

Good advice there, and I'll add either IMR or H 4198 as recommended powders, the IMR giving slightly better accuracy in my rifle, though H322 is most accurate.

Keep it south of 1900 fps and you'll have no issues, if you go faster expect some excessive meat loss. I've run them up to 2200 fps, they'll hold together but again, expect some jelly. Kicked, too!

The best bullet, though not available right now, is the 300 grain Speer Unicor, now called the Plinker. They are not as destructive as the Hornady at 2200 fps.

But, the Hornady has a huge advantage of being available.

The Sierra was about the same as the Hornady, and I have not used the Nosler. Nor any 350 and up Jacketed, using cast in those weights
Posted By: KenMi Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/04/22
250 and 300 grain Barnes TSX flat point.
I shot the 250 TSX full tilt with H4198 from a 1895 SBL Remlin. It would stack them in one hole at 100 yards.
380gn Lehigh WFN.

305gn Lehigh Penetrator.

Works well for...anything.
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/04/22
Thanks for the replies.

Do not plan on hot rodding this at all. Goal for this rifle is to have fun plinking and take it out deer hunting.

The last few deer I have shot in the Black Hills have been under 50 yards. This rifle should not handicap me at all at those ranges.
I have shot several deer with the Speer 300 jhp. Really just a di.e not a full hollow point. I drive them at full.power for Marlins. No second shots or tracking needed
Posted By: ttpoz Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/04/22
For deer and plinking I'd probably choose one of the 300 gr bullets that have been recommended. So far I have only shot the 300 grainers at paper. I've used the Hornady 350 FP on a black bear - worked fine. I've used the 400 gr Speer (hard to find now) on several black bears and a cow elk - worked fine. My brother favors the 405 gr Remington (also hard to find) on deer - worked fine. Seems like the 45/70 and 450 Marlin work well with most bullets designed for their modest velocities. I have no experience with the Lehighs or TSX's but I'll bet they'd be awesome.
I don't even know that the 405 Remington is produced anymore, but it was my favorite for elk and I used 3031 powder.I can't see the 45-70 ever being used just for plinking though.
Posted By: mart Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't even know that the 405 Remington is produced anymore, but it was my favorite for elk and I used 3031 powder.I can't see the 45-70 ever being used just for plinking though.

You see them turn up on GB and at guns shows from time to time. Like you, I’m not sure if Remington is still producing it. It was always a good bullet. I took a couple does and a bull moose with them. Never recovered any. The wounds indicated good expansion.
330 Gr Gould HP cast bullet.
Killing things for over a century.
Posted By: ClemB Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/04/22
I use the Hornady 300 gr HP Interlock bullet in my .45-70 Guide Gun and I've killed 1 deer and 4 bear with it all one shot each. The farthest any of those went was a bear that went about 30 yards before piling up. It is a devastating bullet..
If I were to use my .45-70 on something more substantial like moose I would likely opt for the 350 gr RN from Hornady.
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/05/22
Thanks for all the replies, found some Hornady 300gr HP at Scheels today. If I decide to get serious about bigger stuff, I will certainly look hard at the Hornady 350gr FN or Barnes 300gr TSX.

Don't plan on using cast bullets at this time.
Posted By: Bugger Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/05/22
Pretty much any bullet in the 45-70 will work well on deer
Pretty much any bullet in the 45-70 will work well on deer"

+ 1

There are very many good bullet choices for this caliber.
It all comes down to what you are hunting, the cover you are hunting, the rifle you use, and how much recoil you can stand.
Posted By: Dinny Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/05/22
Why no love for cast bullets? I powdercoat mine and that has made using them 1000% better. I can send you a sampling if you want to give them a chance. PM me.

Thanks, Dinny
No love for the 325 FTX?

Todd
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by Dinny
Why no love for cast bullets? I powdercoat mine and that has made using them 1000% better. I can send you a sampling if you want to give them a chance. PM me.

Thanks, Dinny

Just do not want to go down another rabbit hole. crazy
Posted By: tmitch Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Thanks, Dinny

Not really a "rabbit hole", just cheap, fun shooting. You can buy coated cast for 1/4 the price of jacketed. I got mine from Missouri Bullet Co. A small amount of powder gets them downrange without a lot of fuss out of that stubby Trapper. We had a ball at deer camp busting up firewood with mine.............'till I ran out of ammo. laugh
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/06/22
Like these?

Thanks, Dinny

I just do not want to get back into casting and all the supplies/equipment I have to acquire.

Appreciate the offer to send some samples...But I will just order some from the above mentioned Missouri Bullet Co. Looks like some great plinkers, and will blow right through a deer.
Posted By: Dinny Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Thanks, Dinny

Consider this a very shallow hole. The bullets can be purchased commercially coated. To load, just like jacketed bullets, they need enough case flare to avoid scraping the sides. Then they'll need at least enough crimp to flatten the flare. If they're actually powdercoated and not Hi Tek coated you can run them up to 2000fps. Easy peasy. Not much different than loading jacketed bullets and they're cheaper. In the venerable 45-70 I dare say cast bullets kill just as well as, if not better than, jacketed bullets.

ETA: Seems I clicked on a tab I had open before the other replies came in. I didn't see them until after I typed and posted the info above. MBC makes great bullets. They're Hi Tek coated so keep them under 1500fps and you'll do well. Depending on bullet weight 1500fps may be all the faster you want to shoot them.

Thanks, Dinny
If you want to use cast but not cast them yourself...
https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadi...t-lead-bullets/411-459-diameter.html?p=3
I have killed deer with cast bullets in original Trapdoor carbine 45-70 and Sharps 50-70.
They do not do the job of a jacketed bullet driven at the higher speeds. The cast bullets just punch a hole through deer. A flat nose helps but nothing beats the expansion of a jacketed bullet.
Posted By: tmitch Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by CRS

Yes, but I went with the 405 grain to try to match the POA/POI with the subsonic 410 grain jacketed I had loaded up for deer hunting. I settled on 11.5 grains of Unique for a bit over 1000fps. Pleasant to shoot and I'm sure it would do fine for deer too, millions of buffalo fell to similar ballistics.
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I have killed deer with cast bullets in original Trapdoor carbine 45-70 and Sharps 50-70.
They do not do the job of a jacketed bullet driven at the higher speeds. The cast bullets just punch a hole through deer. A flat nose helps but nothing beats the expansion of a jacketed bullet.

You must be using wax based lubes and really hard alloys to overcome leading. Powdercoating eliminates the mess of waxy lubes, eliminates barrel leading, allows for game to be efficiently killed with softer, expanding lead bullets. I have found them to kill better than jacketed bullets because they can be shot slower and with much less flinching. Jacketed bullets need alot more speed to expand that a soft cast bullet.

It also looks like BA is really proud of their bullets!
I have no doubt about the effectiveness of cast bullets.

Just think buying jacketed bullets is the least labor intensive, cost effective route. The dynatek coated bullets from Missouri bullet company check two boxes. Inexpensive and perform well.

Do not want to go to pay just as much, or more for cast. Then have to go through the work of powder coating.
Buy naked cast bullets online and have them shipped to me. I'll PC and size them then send you half of them.
Posted By: 1minute Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/06/22
Why a 405 Gov slug or course.

Nuh unh.

You must be using wax based lubes and really hard alloys to overcome leading. Powdercoating eliminates the mess of waxy lubes, eliminates barrel leading, allows for game to be efficiently killed with softer, expanding lead bullets. I have found them to kill better than jacketed bullets because they can be shot slower and with much less flinching. Jacketed bullets need alot more speed to expand that a soft cast bullet.

Using the bullet diameter that fits your bore correctly. No leading. Sheeesh!
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Using the bullet diameter that fits your bore correctly. No leading. Sheeesh!

I could care less about the bore and I haven't slugged a barrel in a decade. Throat size is all I care about. If it chambers it will go down the bore with sufficient rifling grip to shoot accurately. PC applied correctly ensures I won't ever again have any sort of leading in my bores.
Keep on old man. Shine that 30-06, put away the torpedo cartridges.
CRS,

You've already found all the bullet you need for your stated goals. Quite of few powders will work well, My load for several of us using 45-70s during primitive season in Mississippi is:

Win. Brass
Win. LR primers
49.0 gr. RL7
Hornady 300 gr. HP
Velocity runs 1800-1900 FPS

The deer you hit will drop or have very short runs.
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 12/07/22
Yes, I think I am pretty well set.

Did order a some of the Missouri 405gr bullets this morning. Called the company and stated they can be run up to 1600fps. Do not plan on running them close to 1600fps. Plan is to use them getting familiar and breaking the gun in. Then work up a good moderate load with the 300gr Hornady HP.

If I need to, I can get into the 300 Nosler Ballistic tips. Would like to save those for my son's rifle.

Have IMR4166, Accurate 5744, and Trail boss. If I have to, will get some IMR4198.
My Handi rifle was the oddball that didn't shoot as well with the 300gr. Hornadys. Quite a few years ago, I found a good deal on a big bulk buy of 405gr. Remington SPs. Dang thing thinks it's a sniper rifle with the heavies. When I pull the trigger on the 405s, I'm wishing they were 300s.

I've used RL7, H4198, H335 and A2015. I used H335 for a while. Accuracy was great and I've killed several deer with that load. One evening I shot a six pointer with it and the flame out of it was like watching an old video of battleships unleashing broadside salvos. Trying to see the deer's reaction was as bad as trying to look through the smoke from a muzzleloader. I didn't have to worry though, he was laying where he stood.

I found a supply of A2015 and 48.0gr. of that powder worked nicely. I loaded five hundred rounds and recently sold the rest of the 405s off. Pretty sure that will be enough to take me all the way out. I've got four boxes of the Hornady 300s for my Mississippi folks when they need a resupply.

I'm sure one of the powders you have will work well for you. If you need another option, 4198 would be a good choice. Enjoy your new rifle.
I shoot the Hornady 300 grain bullets in my Marlins to hunt deer. I use the 350 grain Hornady's in my custom Siamese Mauser bolt gun. It's one and done on every critter I've used it on. It's very accurate too.

Trail boss and some cast 300 gr
I've had good luck on pigs with the Hornaday Leverolution 325's on pigs!
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 01/15/23
Just my opinion, and likely already said:
Any bullet that big, that penetrates, is good.
I use soft lead, hand cast, in my 50cal front stuffer. I've flipped deer clear over.
Big, heavy, slow, close: dead critter.
I'm looking into a 375Win for the same reason.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 01/17/23
I've never used the lighter, shorter bullets that seem so popular with the .45-70, preferring the 400 grain Speer and 405 grain Remington (of which I probably have a lifetime supply at this point.) I load them over a stiff charge of Varget and go out and kill deer. They shoot very well. I have killed a lot of deer with them.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 01/17/23
Originally Posted by CRS
Just picked up a new Marlin 1895 Trapper. (snip) Have done a little looking but would like to hear from those who have BTDT. (snip)

Speer 400 grain JFP and 52 grains of H4895. A little more thump than RP factory ammo but far short of the gun's limits. Sub MOA in a guide gun, a GBL, and a cowboy rifle.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Trail boss and some cast 300 gr

145 Collar Buttons and Unique.
350 gr hornady round or flat point.

46 gr. IMR 4198 1986 Ave. Muzzle speed from the 1895 non guide gun 22 inch barrel.

Only recovered one bullet, took a 300 lb. Mule deer buck and a lot of vertebrae to stop from facing me at 20-ish yards.

Whistled threw multiple other deer, couple black bear and a big ol' lead cow elk.

Love that combo of large and quick handling. If the animal is not laying right there after the shot, not hard to follow the pieces and/or blood to it....
Posted By: Bugger Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 02/07/23
My bullet selection:

400 grain cast - most anything
500 grain cast - most anything that bites
300 grain cast - deer, hogs anything similar

Then there’s jacketed bullets if you must.
Originally Posted by KenMi
250 and 300 grain Barnes TSX flat point.
I shot the 250 TSX full tilt with H4198 from a 1895 SBL Remlin. It would stack them in one hole at 100 yards.
You right about that 250 TSX. I run that one at 2,550 fps.

The HP looks like the open end of an ash tray and that bullet blows lung tissue thru the far side of a WT chest. Blood like a fire hose, deer down in feet rather than yards.

And, as you note, very accurate.

DF
The ole 405 gr Remington's were great I'm told
The FTX line Hornaday is the bees knees 4 deer!

I think they are 325 grain. And very aerodynamic.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The FTX line Hornaday is the bees knees 4 deer!

I think they are 325 grain. And very aerodynamic.

This store has a good selection of Hornady bullets & is GTG !

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/HO...FLEX-TIP-EXPANDING-50-BOX#product_detail
Or these too

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/HORNADY-4503-INTERLOCK-.458-350-GR-50-PER-BOX#product_detail
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 02/08/23
As a follow up , I bought 400 of the 405gr Missouri bullets, along with some Hornady 300 and 350gr. Have a suppressor on order and am going to pick up some 410gr Hornady Sub-X's also.
You will have a ball shooting the subs. I'm loading those 405s to about 1050 out of my GG and a 45 pistol can on the end. It's fun
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 02/09/23
What is you sub load if I may ask?
14gr of VVn350 from a 1895 trapper. Super fun
Patrick
Posted By: CRS Re: What is good 45-70 bullet? - 02/10/23
Thank you
© 24hourcampfire