Home
I used my 1910-12 Marlin 94 carbine in 38-40 to take a nice meat doe this past weekend. The shot was roughly 75 yds and I was using some 60 year old Winchester soft point factory ammo. The shot was double lung with a complete pass through and some expansion. The deer ran about 50 yds and piled up. My rifle has a vintage Lyman receiver sight and original factory front bead sight. Granted the deer was less than 100 lbs, but the old round dispatched her very cleanly. I have little doubt that the outcome would have been much different if I had been shooting a 150lb buck. I guess you really can still kill deer with an old obsolete rifle and cartridge like the 38-40 smile. I have some pics, but my computer skills are still inadequate to post them here.
Congratulations TBB....There are just too many old family guns, and ranch guns around here in the Siskiyou Mtns in .38WCF or .38-40 for them to be considered inadequate as a deer killer. Digging around old homesteads, mines and sawmills, like as not the .38-40 will turn up frequently. I have not hunted yet with my 1873 Win, but I just use my pistol loads, which are 180 gr wheelweight at 1250 fps. A pretty good whack on the steel at 100. Your Marlin is much stronger.
Four years ago I whacked a nice little 3x3 with the totally inadequate .32-40, Speer 170 gr at 1500 fps with no drama whatsoever.
Very cool, Neal. Email me the pics and I'll post them!
Excellent. I've got a 12" Contender in .38/40 that I'd love to shoot a deer with. I've carried it, but never seen anything while it was with me. I load Hornady 200gr XTP 10mm bullets.
My father, RIP, for his entire hunting career used a Marlin Model 94 in 38-40. He killed a lot of deer with. it I think it has a 1936 serial number on it. I am due to inherit it if my brother's kids ever abide by his will
That is awesome TBB! I carried a Winchester 1873 during some this rifle season but didn’t get an opportunity with it. Like flintlocke mine is loaded appropriately with cast lead - it and a Winchester 1894 in .25-35 were my go to guns for a doe…..have to wait until next year now though.

PennDog
Awesomeness
I got a "92 Winchester about the same age with a climbing Lyman sight that kills deer with no trouble with plain old lead bullets. Guess there's at least two 38-40's still in service in Alabama , I'm in Hillsboro near Decatur.
Here are Neal's rifle and trophy doe:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks Pres!
Very nice 👍
Outstanding!
Cool looking lever gun Neal, nice story and picture.
Good job. Great skill set!
I just had my Marlin 1888 out and got some fresh meat. If you look, you will see the 1888 Marlin is a rare top eject gun. They didn't make many of them. Nothing better than rabbit for the pan and using an antique 38-40 to get it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I think my Dad shot as many deer with his 1905mfgd Win 94/32-40, as he did with his Sako 308win! There isn't a newly made gun on the planet, as good as ANY of the old Wins & Marlins.
Well done guys....mb
Originally Posted by Hook
Here are Neal's rifle and trophy doe:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Perfect shot placement….congratulations
Congrats Neal, nice shot. Maken meat,!
© 24hourcampfire